What's the best cycling book you've read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
I'm currently reading 'Put Me Back on my Bike - In Search of Tom Simpson' which is so far excellent.

Was just about to recommend this one too. Totally different in Tom's day - especially when you compare the money and lifestyle of the pros back then. Good read. :thumbsup:

Christopher

Über Member
I really enjoyed Paul Krabbe's book (the Racer?), 'One More Kilometre and we're in the showers' and some of Obree's autobiography - specifically where he talks about the rituals of a 70s/80s cycling club. My taste runs to the long-lost world of 50s club riding (odd as I was only born in 1966). YMMV.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Definitely Millar's book, and Tyler's book too. Both essential reading if you're interested in pro cycling.

I also very much enjoyed Daniel Friebe's biog of Merckx.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I enjoyed Millers book but think the whole drug bust bit does come across as a little bit self serving, although being his book I suppose that's only to be expected.

I really enjoyed Put me back on my bike, it is excellent.

Ned Boulting In search of the yellow jumper is an enjoyable read & ideal holiday book

In search of Robert Millar is well worth it too.

Last recommendation is a couple of Fotheringham books: Roule Britannia & Merckx half man half bike.

I wasn't keen on Slaying the badger, it is worth a read for the racing chapters and if you dip in and out of the incredibly longwinded and repetitive anecdote first half.

Mile195

Veteran
I enjoyed 'You've gone too far this time, sir" - a travel book by a guy who decided to cycle from his school in Kingston to one in the middle of India. If you have a Kindle, it's free.
I just finished this one too - agreed. Well worth a try.

If we extend cycling to include motorcycling, Jupiters Travels by Ted Simon is brilliant. Along the same lines as the one above, except 30 years earlier and went round the entire world on a motorbike... long before the likes of Charlie Boorman and Ewan McGregor did it.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I enjoyed Millers book but think the whole drug bust bit does come across as a little bit self serving, although being his book I suppose that's only to be expected.

Definitely, albeit a lot less than Tyler Hamilton, who really does over-play the victim card in his book.

Both fascinating characters though, with fascinating insights into the murkier depths of pro cycling, and I finished their respective books feeling a lot more sympathetic towards both than when I started them.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thunder-Sun...60421&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=alister+humpphrys

Alaster Humphreys books about his travels are simply inspiring.

And I would also recomend this one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Take-Seat-T...F8&qid=1374160512&sr=1-1&keywords=take+a+seat

About a guy on a Tandem picking up stranger along his way down the Americas.

Sparkyman

MarkF

Guru
Bicycle Diaries by David Byrne, more musings on life than cycling stories but an enjoyable read.

That is a very good, thought provoking read.

I also like:-

The Cyclist's Manifesto - Rob Hurst:- The Case for Riding on Two Wheels Instead of Four.
Take a Seat - Dominic Gill:- One man, one tandem and twenty thousand possibilities.
The Hungry Cyclist- Tom Davies:- Pedalling the Americas in search of the perfect meal.

I thought Ned Boulting's effort was p.poor, as badly written and as boring as football star's autobiography. It might be my age (50) but I thought both Mark Beaumont's books were excruciatingly b.o.r.i.n.g, all that logistical help behind him just switched me off, I didn't see his trips as an adventure or an achievement. I tend to like tales written by blokes who are skint and vulnerable. :smile:.

Top Bottom