Whats the best mudguards to get???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
will be needing to get some mudguards, no hurry yet as weather not too bad.. Dont want to spend loads, just need something that works well, looks good or is unnoticeable, would prefer ones that are easy to take off.. I have seen these

http://www.freemanscycles.co.uk/product2.asp?product_id=479&pname=Alloy Mudguards PW1

what do you think/ any other suggestions??- to fit 700c x 28mm, may fit wider for winter if its an advantage??

thanks all..

Tynan

Veteran
I've never really noticed one from another over the years, they all loko much the same and do the same job in my experience

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Never noticed mine, they're very old Esge. Guess it only matters how durable if you crash/drop the bike.

My front guard has a flap of rubber type stuff at the bottom which seems to stop any water spraying.

bonj2

What mudguards to get? try NONE.

dantheman said:
will be needing to get some mudguards

You don't NEED them. You mean you WANT them, in order to look worldly-wise.

dantheman said:
Dont want to spend loads,
don't then - don't spend anything.

dantheman said:
would prefer ones that are easy to take off..
I would say that's the most important attribute of a pair of mudguards - how easy they are to take off. And never put back on again.

dantheman said:
i think they're crap.

dantheman said:
/ any other suggestions??
Yep - don't buy them, they're crap.
Mudguards always get in the way, are heavy, rattly, horrible-looking, and crap.

Ignore bonj, he doesn't accept that you get a line of mud/water up your back when riding in the wet without guards.

SKS chromoplastic are the ones to get. They're not easy to take off, but there are no easily-removeable guards that will do a half-decent job of protecting you.

Plus one, on both counts.

jiggerypokery

Über Member
I heartily recommend these at http://www.bbbparts.com/ can be taken off quickly, work perfectly, the brackets stay on the bike and are unobtrusive and they don't cost an arm and a leg.

BFD-21F RoadProtector
» Elegant front fender for road bikes.

BFD-21R RoadProtector
» Elegant rear fender for road bikes.

Special Features
» Protects against water and grime.» Easy quick release system. When the main fender body is removed only a very small inconspicuous piece is left on the bike.
» Composite material. Tough and durable yet lightweight. Won't easily crack from impacts, natural projectiles or heavy use.
Installation manual available here.
roadprotector.jpg

Chris James

Über Member
I don't think Bonj has ever actually used mudguards. Mine don't rattle at all and weigh next to nothing. They are reasonably easy to take off but I never bother as I don't have any pretensions to racing and am not worried about their weight, given that my bike and I weigh about 190lbs before they are fitted and 191lb afterwards.

The plus points of mudguards are that you don't get wet and dirty, the person behind you doesn't get wet, your drive chain stays cleaner much longer because it doesn't have crap sprayed at it constantly.

Mine are SKS clones as fitted on my Dawes Audax.

redjedi

Über Member

twowheelsgood

Bonj, it really isn't a case of looking worldly wise. Most of us who actually use a bike for day-to-day utility would settle for "dry". We may of course think twice should we ever get to wear the yellow jersey. I fitted my guards 7 years ago, they weight 300g and have never rattled, it isn't difficult for anyone of basic mechanical skill and a tube of loctite. the bike is used all year 'round and keeps me as dry as is possible.

You've been advised on many occasions only to give advice about things you actually know anything about. Communities work by sharing actual experience. When you spout your baseless opinion it only serves to confuse those who came here in good faith to seek advice. the sum knowledge of the universe has been advanced only by knowing you don't like guards and have never actually used any - thanks for that.

Get the SKSs.

Keith Oates

Janner
I also consider mudguards on a commute bike a sensible move, however IMO they should be silver/chrome and not black or colour co-ordinated with the frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom