Whats the best mudguards to get???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
cheers for the info..
as i said, no hurry yet, and i suppose they dont need to come off that quickly- probably will be lazy and only take them off for the summer anyway..

looks as though the chromoplastics are a favourite round here, a little search and ive found them for 23.99 delivered. - but what size??- i mean i have 28mm shwalbe stelvio slick tyres, but am wondering if its worth fitting wider tyres for winter???- if so what size and tread should i be looking at.. will only be on roads in winter, but theyre backroads and want to make sure ive got enough traction..

thankyou..
dan.

mootaineer

threefingerjoe

Über Member
As a year-around commuter, I'll put in one more vote for FULL mudguards with front flap. I currently have Planet Bike mudguards, and I'm satisfied with them, but I'm listening to the advice, and won't mind trying a set of the SKS Cromoplastic in the future, if, or when, these Planet Bike guards ever break. They've been through 4 midwest U.S. winters, so far.

As far as Bonj's opinion...well, all bikes are not built or suited for the same purpose. Since this is the "Commuting" room, I'd presume that most people don't want to get mucked up on the way to work.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
threefingerjoe said:
As far as Bonj's opinion...well, all bikes are not built or suited for the same purpose. Since this is the "Commuting" room, I'd presume that most people don't want to get mucked up on the way to work.

And we have years of accumulated experience rather than one quite potty and agressive opinion.:smile:

bonj2

dantheman said:
cheers for the info..
as i said, no hurry yet, and i suppose they dont need to come off that quickly- probably will be lazy and only take them off for the summer anyway..

looks as though the chromoplastics are a favourite round here, a little search and ive found them for 23.99 delivered. - but what size??- i mean i have 28mm shwalbe stelvio slick tyres, but am wondering if its worth fitting wider tyres for winter???- if so what size and tread should i be looking at.. will only be on roads in winter, but theyre backroads and want to make sure ive got enough traction..

thankyou..
dan.

wider tyres on the road are unnecessary, and are the primary reason why a lot of people think they need mudguards. Thinner, slicker tyres don't get muddy water sticking to them and as such the splash-up only gets a few inches with my 25mm michelin P2Rs. 28mm with nobbles on - COURSE you're going to get muddy...:biggrin: It's like tying a towel round the tap when you're fixing the washer - just turn the water off :angry: :angry: Too many people on here suffer from "I-might-go-down-a-towpath" syndrome. There's two disciplines of cycling - road cycling, and mountain biking. This happens to be a ROAD bike forum. People shouldn't try and pretend there's some middle ground to which they belong of being neither one nor the other but just a 'generic cyclist' - just admit you're a roadie and do things the roadie way. And that doesn't mean mudguards. Mudguards are old fashioned becasue they were only really necessary in olden days when there actually WAS a lot of mud on roads and lots of water aswell due to roadbuilding technology not having advanced as far as providing effective drainage.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
bonj said:
There's two disciplines of cycling - road cycling, and mountain biking. This happens to be a ROAD bike forum. People shouldn't try and pretend there's some middle ground to which they belong of being neither one nor the other but just a 'generic cyclist' - just admit you're a roadie and do things the roadie way.
Bonj, this is a cycling forum, not specifically a road bike forum.

Obviously this is where the rub lays, maybe in your eyes it is a 'road bike forum' while nearly all the rest of us see cyclechat as a place where you can talk about off road riding, recumbents, audaxes or even just popping to the shops.

I have no problem with your views but I do get annoyed when you kick off with your aggressive and verbose dogma as to what is 'correct' in what appears to be a very narrow view of the whole and varied world of cycling.
I just don't think you know quite how detrimental your posts can be with regard to offering advice or assistance.

Live and let live M8.

dodgy

bonj said:
This happens to be a ROAD bike forum

Eh?

Dave.

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
if the world were as perfect as bonj, it would never rain, and we wouldnt even need tyres as we could all float along...

i just want to be dry this winter...

so thanks to all the helpful advice...

bonj2

Wrong on two counts.

The first you've been told. Ride any bike in the rain and you'll get spray off the tyres.
Ride any bike in the rain and you'll get spray off the SKY. it's called rain. ;):rolleyes::smile: durrrr...

Oh, and another. This isn't a road bike forum. It's for everyone.
even escaped convicts on the run.;)

tdr1nka said:
I have no problem with your views but I do get annoyed when you kick off with your aggressive and verbose dogma as to what is 'correct' in what appears to be a very narrow view of the whole and varied world of cycling.
I just don't think you know quite how detrimental your posts can be with regard to offering advice or assistance.

Live and let live M8.

What are you suggesting, that my views will cause somebody to think "hey, you know that bonj guy? I think he's right after all - I will take my mudguards off!",
and the next morning they cycle to work without them on and it starts to spit on the way in.
Ne'er mind, he thinks - bonj has reassured me that it'll be ok so it must be. Anyhow in an important sales meeting later in the day our cyclist is making a presentation to some customers, and when he turns round to draw a demonstration on the boardroom whiteboard of how great the company's product is, the prospective customers see a muddy line streaked up his back, and start to whisper amongst themselves and give disapproving glances.

When the meeting's over, the boss expects them to come into an office to discuss the contract but they politely make their excuses and leave. Then the boss sees the line up his back and decides he hasn't made enough of an effort to present himself smartly and cleanly enough and sacks him instantly.

He goes home jobless, and is subsequently unable to feed his wife and family. Depressed, his wife becomes an alcoholic and without any maintenance has to shophift to eat and feed her booze habit. With no money coming in, his kids have no food or school clothes so are also forced to shoplift and mug grannies, they also have to take to dealing a bit of crack aswell when times are hard.
Wtih a history of being sacked for ruining a presentation that otherwise could have gone well, there is no hope for our cyclist to get another job as everybody in the industry knows about it - so he turns to gambling, in the hope that luck will save him instead. Within months he has gambeld away his house, so, desparate - he tries to sell his passport on the streets.
A dodgy looking somalian fellow tries to buy it off him, but the police are coming and there's a scuffle and they nick off with it anyway without paying the 5 grand agreed - and the police catch him amongst the somalian paperwork that is fluttering to the ground from the guy who is soon nowhere to be seen. Thinking it's his, they arrest him for being an illegal immigrant, and with no passport, or house anymore - he can't prove who he is, within days he is being deported back to somalia.
He doesn't have a home, and so, tired, he falls asleep on a bed of hay in the middle of a circle of bricks.
It turns out that as luck would have it that is the exact spot where the local tribe do sacrifices every other monday apart from bank holidays when they go veggie. They turn up, chanting, and find our fellow sleeping amongst the hay and since he is right in the middle of the holy circle of bricks, they assume he is a gift from the gods, so they chop him up while dancing round the circle warlord style with torches, and then boil him in a cauldron for supper.
All because he listened to bonj and didn't use mudguards.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Oh God do I really need to answer this?

Bonj Mate, you decry actual facts and then insist your thinking is the only 'correct' answer and this is not the first instance.

You could be aiming to be so much better than the 'David Ike of CC'.;)

bonj2

You claimed I'm having a detrimental effect. How?

I've never decreed that mine is the ONLY correct answer, it's the correct answer for me, so I don't see why it shouldn't be for others. I'll continue to stand in the way of received wisdom being peddled as learning by experience.
But everyone always acts like such an absolute twat on the mudguards issue that it's often better to just state it out loud rather than pussy footing around. I must say you're surprisingly defensive for someone who KNOWS that they're right. The mark of received wisdom is the desire to have your view the ONLY view that ever gets posted, the fact that you get upset when I post contrary views indicates you appear to require, or think you require, a monopoly on your 'wisdom' in order for it to be received correctly by the next generation.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Receive this wisdom.

How can I have a monoploy on my 'wisdom' when everyone else is saying the same as me?
I am not the one fighting to be the island here.

How am I being defensive if I simply try to point out that your posts are not just contrary views they are diatribes built entirely on your own tiny and pumped up perception of what is 'correct'. I'm just sick to death of it Bonj. You give some grand sobbing farewell and come back ten minutes later

I was in fact trying to be helpful in saying, and I've said this before, that a lot of your posts give you the appearence of having an unfriendly, agressive and extremely narrow view of any other cyclist if they don't simply conform to your preconceptions, assumptions and demands of 'correct' in cycling.

You write in absolutes. Your behaviour is rigid, vapid, belligerant and, IMO, makes you look a lot like a petty jerk who is rather sadly entertained by being deliberately contrary when they think they are being funny/ironic or worse still clever.

Sorry Mate, I just don't have the patience, you come across as a total and utter arse, go flag me.
Good night.

bonj2

tdr1nka said:
Receive this wisdom.

How can I have a monoploy on my 'wisdom' when everyone else is saying the same as me?
I am not the one fighting to be the island here.
Everyone else isn't saying the same as you - I'm not.
Granted, most people are saying the same as you - but why isn't that enough?
You appear to want a situation where whenever anyone asks a question, the standard, accepted forum opinion gets wheeled out. You're beginning to sound like a party whip, trying to chastise me because I won't tow the party line.

tdr1nka said:
How am I being defensive if I simply try to point out that your posts are not just contrary views they are diatribes built entirely on your own tiny and pumped up perception of what is 'correct'. I'm just sick to death of it Bonj. You give some grand sobbing farewell and come back ten minutes later
I was in fact trying to be helpful in saying, and I've said this before, that a lot of your posts give you the appearence of having an unfriendly, agressive and extremely narrow view of any other cyclist if they don't simply conform to your preconceptions, assumptions and demands of 'correct' in cycling.
You've already 'pointed it out'. You've 'pointed it out' once. You've 'pointed it out' many times. You 'point it out' every single sodding week, day even.
And I haven't taken a blind bit of notice. Like the thick pillock you are, you STILL refuse to take the hint that I don't want to change my behaviour to suit you, so SHUT THE F**K UP about it.

Top Bottom