Whats the best mudguards to get???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

keep yer 'air on.

bonj2

bnoj

You're waffling.

If the ground is wet, you'll get spray off your tyres.

This will spray at your shoes, especially on bends, and you'd be surprised how quickly it will soak you.

It will also spray all up your back. Any cyclist knows this. You trying to pretend that it doesn't is confusing for these newbies that you say should be given correct information, because you're allowing your dislike of guards to make you tell lies.

And that's just what a guard-less bike will do to the rider in the wet. It's a whole other story about what it'll do to your bike.

Get over it.

haven't you got to report to your probation worker in half an hour? You'd better get cracking.

Jockey

For what its worth

I haven't been a memeber of this forum for long, but I'll dish my 2 pence for what it's worth.... I've been riding with mudguards on my bike since I started commuting in January.. I don't really like them on my bike, but needs must when the devil drives. Anyway, with the weather being so good lately, i took the brave decision to take them off... thinking summer was here!! Needless to say, today I got well and truely sprayed from surface water after the rain early this morning... So, tonight the guards go back on again and next time I won't be so hasty. They truely do stop your shoes and back getting wet.

that being said I do to a certain degree I agree with Bonj, i find them a pain (my Bikehut guards do rattle a tad), and I think they make my bike look a little "unsexy", but hey - this is daily commuting and if you want to get to and from work without being covered in muddy spray, get some mud guards as I find they do exactly what they say on the tin.. they guard you from the mud - Genuis!!

mootaineer

bnoj

You're waffling.

If the ground is wet, you'll get spray off your tyres.

This will spray at your shoes, especially on bends, and you'd be surprised how quickly it will soak you.

Get over it.

I think worse still...you can end up with roadmuck in your mouth!
That's the main reason I use mudguards. I don't care about the clothing so much as what doesn't get in my mouth!

:smile: <- maybe I am breathing too hard :biggrin:

walker

bonj said:
I think the reason I personally don't need mudguards is a combination of mainly (:biggrin:, the rain washes it off, and a little bit of (a), there isn't THAT much mud on the road anyway as it's fairly urban, not that many farms, etc., and a tiny bit of (c) I get changed at work anyway.

Bonj, Can I ask if you have spent good money on a Jersey, only to get it ruined by Muck that is flung off your back wheel because you didn't have guards?

I'm not a primadonna, I don't have Mudguards either, Never have never will, purely because when I do ride in the rain I am on my own. so therefore not a risk to other riders.

the only risk I run in wet weather is flint and glass sticks to tyres when wet.

Wolf04

Never had a problem with my SKS guards until reading this thread, then all of a sudden they start rattling and rubbing on the front tyre:sad:. Took 20 seconds to repair!:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Jockey said:
I
that being said I do to a certain degree I agree with Bonj, i find them a pain (my Bikehut guards do rattle a tad), and I think they make my bike look a little "unsexy",

The implication being, that without guards, your bike is sexy? I like cycling, but... I don't think I'd say any bike was sexy!

The only rattlely guard I have is on my recumbent trike and thats because I failed to replace a zip tie when it was last dismantled to fit in a car and haven't got round to fixing it. But since a recumbent trike is so far outside bonji's comfort zone anyway, I don't suppose a rattlely mudguard will make much difference...

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Just a little bit of information to the dear Bnoj.
Yes, it is true, there is very little mud on the roads of cities, but there is an accumulation of dirt caused by motor oil, rubber, dust from vehicle brake pads and other such detritus that mixes with or floats on any wet road surface.
This is what gets sprayed up ones back when you ride, in the wet without mudguards.

Top Bottom