Whats the best mudguards to get???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
BentMikey said:
Bonj your a mook. Shut it.

Can I add: 'spanner'? ;)

Honestly, bonj, if somone asks for advice, why don't you leave it to people who actually understand cycling and have some constructive advice? Your 'theory' on mudguards is all very amusing for Cake Stop discussion but elsewhere just gets in the way of adult conversation. :ohmy:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I think FM has made my point a more clearly and snappily Bnoj.
I stated I wasn't adverse to you opinion but that you fly in the face of popular opinion in an agressive and contrary manner that doesn't befit you and is frankly off putting to sensible conversation.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I have the Giant version of Raceblades. I didnt put them on for the first week when i got the bike because i didnt have them. I had a high-vis vest which road rubbish on it(it was winter) and big sprey marks on the back of it because of no mud guards. The front one came off on the first ride and i just never put that one on.
Last week it started to spit and i couldnt be botherd to put the rear guard back on. So on some stretched of road with standing water i got dirt marks on the back of my cycle club jersey. They washed off(did it as soon as i came home) with some scrubbing.
Put the rear one on today when i came home from school because it was spitting. It took me about 5mins to do, so now i will just take them on and off.
At first they were annoying and i did really hate them. They rattled and i didnt like the look of the bike with them on. It went from looking sporty, to looking not so sporty. And as much as i dont like them for the way they look, they did stop rattling, or i just went faster and the noise went.
They are good to stop sprey up your back, but they lack protection and the front of the back wheel near the seat tube. Which means when there is lots of standing water, your trousers get soaked, which runs down and wets your over shoes and then goes into your socks. The sprey from me not having one on the front wheel also made it so that when i tilted my foot forward water dripped out from the shoe. Could have done with full length guards then.
Heres a tip though, if you go out in the rain in a group, be behind someone with full length mudguards on. You dont get lots of sprey from the back wheel then.;)

bonj2

Jockey said:
I haven't been a memeber of this forum for long, but I'll dish my 2 pence for what it's worth.... I've been riding with mudguards on my bike since I started commuting in January.. I don't really like them on my bike, but needs must when the devil drives. Anyway, with the weather being so good lately, i took the brave decision to take them off... thinking summer was here!! Needless to say, today I got well and truely sprayed from surface water after the rain early this morning... So, tonight the guards go back on again and next time I won't be so hasty. They truely do stop your shoes and back getting wet.

that being said I do to a certain degree I agree with Bonj, i find them a pain (my Bikehut guards do rattle a tad), and I think they make my bike look a little "unsexy", but hey - this is daily commuting and if you want to get to and from work without being covered in muddy spray, get some mud guards as I find they do exactly what they say on the tin.. they guard you from the mud - Genuis!!

AHA!! :biggrin: So they DO rattle! and this coming from a mudguards user. So now we know! It obviously takes someone who is fresh enough onto the forum not to have been indoctrinated into the faith and thus never had their brain washed to admit this.

I see all the mudguard crew scrabbling for excuses as to why those particular ones rattle, but a mudguard's a mudguard. The writing's clearly on the wall now.

walker said:
Bonj, Can I ask if you have spent good money on a Jersey, only to get it ruined by Muck that is flung off your back wheel because you didn't have guards?

http://cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13103

Flying_Monkey said:
Can I add: 'spanner'? :biggrin:

Honestly, bonj, if somone asks for advice, why don't you leave it to people who actually understand cycling and have some constructive advice? Your 'theory' on mudguards is all very amusing for Cake Stop discussion but elsewhere just gets in the way of adult conversation. :wacko:

Why don't you stop spouting your mouth off FM and instead go and make a SENSIBLE contribution to this thread - how on earth do you ever hope that i'm going to listen to you on the subject of recommending stuff if you won't even help me to reconcile my own personal experience with what you expect me to recommend or allow to be recommended uncontradicted?
Because otherwise, this is just yet another subject on which you come over like a evangelical religious fundamentalist.

bonj2

Good guards don't rattle. The Bike Monkey ones are awful.

yeah yeah yeah whatever you say flower. :ohmy: The fact is most mudguard users like to pretend that their mudguards are better than others and that they don't rattle. But it's been admitted now. You need to be slightly quicker on the uptake and audain the newbies slightly more promptly if you don't want them to drop a clanger like that again!

OK here's a challenge for you: I've posted a picture of my jacket having been cycling for 1hr40mins on wet roads, without any streaks of mud on it.
Can anyone manage to post a picture of their jacket WITH mud on it due to riding without mudguards?

Milo

Guru
Shut up bonj.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
bonj said:
how on earth do you ever hope that i'm going to listen to you on the subject of recommending stuff if you won't even help me to reconcile my own personal experience with what you expect me to recommend or allow to be recommended uncontradicted?

bonj - someone asked a question about which mudguards to use. They did not ask for a discussion of your theory of why mudguards are rubbish, which we have all heard before, and which you go on about almost as much as simoncc goes on about the BBC.

I am asking you to try to consider what is appropriate. Do you find this so hard to understand?

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Ok Bonj, here is my hi-vis, after it has been washed a few times, after one week of riding with no mudguards in the winter. The sprey went all the way to to my helmet by the way.
Its also been out in heavy rain and not even that had washed the crap off. I wore the hi-vis instead of letting all the crap get onto my jacket which would damage it. The salt and other rubbish wouldnt have done it any good.
Image095.jpg

Image096.jpg

26c Kendas that were brand new.
Ok now Bonj?
No mudguards on the bike now though, but if its raining tomorrow the back one will be put on, which will take me only 5mins to put on right.

andyfromotley

Sorry but i am definitely with Bonj on this.

You absolutely DO NOT need mudgaurds. If you have them your bike could wiegh as much as 500grams more.
Instead of wasting ohhhhhhhhh £30 on mudgaurds simply spend £300 on a decent washing machine £100 pounds on a tumble dryer, £100 quid on a second set of clothes, £60 on a power washer for your bike and throw in say £30 a month on electricity, get home on any night it has been raining and simply wah your clothes instead, then spend 20 mins washing your bike.

People today, wasting money on mudgaurds....................did i mention they rattle as well you know.

bonj2

Flying_Monkey said:
bonj - someone asked a question about which mudguards to use. They did not ask for a discussion of your theory of why mudguards are rubbish, which we have all heard before, and which you go on about almost as much as simoncc goes on about the BBC.

I am asking you to try to consider what is appropriate. Do you find this so hard to understand?
They asked for advice on which mudguards to get, I replied 'none'. That would have been my last post on the subject, but people had to try and argue. So I argued back. I repeat my assertion that beginners aren't idiots. They most likely have the wherewithall to sift through all the advice given and judge for themselves which to take, they don't need a 'unanimous front' to be agreed upon by virtue of those of the faith shooting down those that dare to dissent and trying to force them to accept the One True Word, an acceptance which incidentally is never going to happen.
You FM are someone who has proven themselves to have a track record in latching onto doctrines like a religion and denouncing anyone who doesn't adopt The Faith in the same way that you have, as heretics and simpletons who don't understand the issue or as minor insignificant flies in the ointment. One of these days you are just going to need to realise that everyone has different beliefs.

No, because my bike has mudguards.
Take them off then.

miloat said:
Admit it bonj your wrong.
Go and try and find the mud on my jacket in my 'proof mudguards are unnecessary' thread. Go on, off you go, there's a good lad.

Top Bottom