Whats the best mudguards to get???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
bonj said:
That I find mudguards unnecessary. How am I supposed to be able to know and therefore comment on whether anyone else finds them necessary? :biggrin:

Exactly, Bonj. So why on earth then did you see fit to insist that the majority of mudguard users on this thread were so catagorically wrong in the first place?

Do please take note as here in lays the rub.
Your initial posts declared the general thinking of forummers, on this subject to be somehow 'flawed', 'misguided' and 'incorrect'.
Hence we get to the point where your opinion reads 'I am correct and everyone else is incorrect' and friction starts.

If only you took the time to post with a little less alacrity, as you have shown you can in the above example, then some people might be more inclined to take you seriously.

Milo

Guru
I wouldn't :biggrin:

bonj2

tdr1nka said:
Exactly, Bonj. So why on earth then did you see fit to insist that the majority of mudguard users on this thread were so catagorically wrong in the first place?

Do please take note as here in lays the rub.
Your initial posts declared the general thinking of forummers, on this subject to be somehow 'flawed', 'misguided' and 'incorrect'.
Hence we get to the point where your opinion reads 'I am correct and everyone else is incorrect' and friction starts.

If only you took the time to post with a little less alacrity, as you have shown you can in the above example, then some people might be more inclined to take you seriously.

I see your point, and I accept that that's what it may have looked like - although I hope you can see how I might have seen that sooner if a lot of forummers hadn't been accusing me of lying and posting crass comments like 'you obviously don't cycle very much then' - because posts like that come across as pure bluster, you see, so with 10 posts like that the one reasonable one in the middle goes unnoticed. Boy who cried wolf principle. As I've already said, a bit of give is required on both sides, and also as i've already said, I'm sure (or certainly hope) you recognise that I'm not simply making an attempt at being controvertial.
So yes. I can now see the value of caveatting my recommendations that they are my personal experience only, and that what suits me might not necessarily suit everyone, so you will have to try it - but equally I would also hope that people, like you tdr1nka, will recognise that I am talking from experience and that therefore my contribution to such threads is just as valid as anyone else's. The alternative is for both 'sides' to just be completely irrational as has been the case previously.

OP
OP
dantheman

dantheman

Veteran
andyfromotley said:
PS total respect to DANTHEMAN on getting a 9 page thread out of mudguards..... WTFG

CHEERS, I TRY MY HARDEST;)- im thinking of starting a "are mudguards necessary" thread- then we could have all this arguement agian, but with the correct title!!- 12 pages and counting...

Daniel B

Blimey that was a long rambling thread :biggrin:

I have SKS guards on my commuter, and have fitted 45mm ones to my gf's commuter, running 35mm tyres, and have bought a 35mm pair for my Marin which will shortly be running 28mm tyres, the suggested maximum for that width (35mm) mudguard.

Cheapest I found was Ribble:

£13.25 or £11.93 - 35mm without mudflaps: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=SKSAMUDR200

£17.75 or 15.98 - 45mm with mudflaps:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=SKSAMUDR235

Postage for Ribble for mudguards is £3.50, but as I was ordering some other bits, and managed to get them for the lower prices, I thought they were bargainous.

I'm glad I chose the non mudflap variety for my Marin, the mudflap varieties come with a large rear reflector on the rear guard.

Dan

bonj2

Or, how about just typing the right thing in the first place instead of typing a load of junk and only resorting to what you know to be really right when you're backed into a corner?

Mudguards help to keep the bike and rider clean and drier. There's no middle ground to move to from that statement, because it's entirely true. It's your ridiculous opening assertions that need moderating, and you're the only one who can do that.

Your way of working doesn't help the newbies.

Right, well as I've said I'll adopt a trial period of moderation, during which we'll see if you can behave yourself by being open minded enough not to try and make me tow the party line, and if you can't manage that then we're back to square one aren't we.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I think you might just have 'general concensus' and 'party line' muddled up a bit.

Another thing, Mr. 'Ambassador, with these moderated trial periods you are really spoiling us' Bonj.
I have never honestly suggested that you don't post from experience, just that your writing style and delivery simply suggests it to be an incredibly fixed and narrow field of experience.

But still remember then, as Ghandi said, 'Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.';)

jiggerypokery

Über Member
Today, 28/5/08, in Birmingham it is raining...not hoying it down, just a constant dank drizzle thats been going on all night. result - wet roads. Sooooo after three weeks off the bike I hopped on, forgetting that I had taken my mudguards off and the result is.......

Wet feet and skanky road grime covered legs....

attachment.php

And a wet arse.....

attachment.php

So what am I doing wrong Bonj? You asserted that mudguards do not keep you dry, I beleieved you, I trusted you, I put all my faith in you and you let me down ;)

perhaps it's where I live, perhaps it's the type of rain that Mr Paul and I get in the Brum area, perhaps it's the type of tarmac we have on the roads here? Who knows? But...I'm putting my mudguards back on!

Top Bottom