Whats the best mudguards to get???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Bonj - I accept entirely that you are entitled to believe what you want about anything. Everyone else is also entitled to tell you that you are totally wrong. You've shown time and time again that you know jack all about cycling beyond your tiny personal experience. By all means discuss it, but don't think that your ideas count as anything to offer in the way of serious advice to serious questions. Most of us have been cycling many more kinds of bikes, and for a lot longer than you... so grow up a bit and stop being so self-centred.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Ok Bonj, here is my hi-vis, after it has been washed a few times, after one week of riding with no mudguards in the winter. The sprey went all the way to to my helmet by the way.
[pics]

Well, ok - YOU need mudguards. YOu've learnt this from experience.
It's fine for you to recommend mudguards based on this experience.
But if you look at my 'proof mudguards are unnecessary' thread, you'll see that I've learnt from experience that I don't need them. So can you not see how, TO ME, it seems really crass that people are trying to pigeonhole the issue and narrow it down to there being only one possible answer, that everyone needs mudguards.
I TRY to be rational, but when people feel the need to tell me I'm wrong especially by saying I must be lying when I say I just don't get excess mud on me from the tyres, it becomes hard not to see the response to anyone who asks about mudguards to be anything other than evangelical brainwashing. Do you not see where I'm coming from...

AGain, I repeat my question as to why it's necessary for the advice from the forum to be unanimous - why does any advice that's different from your own have to be argued with into submission?

Milo

Guru
bonj said:
They asked for advice on which mudguards to get, I replied 'none'. That would have been my last post on the subject, but people had to try and argue. So I argued back. I repeat my assertion that beginners aren't idiots. They most likely have the wherewithall to sift through all the advice given and judge for themselves which to take, they don't need a 'unanimous front' to be agreed upon by virtue of those of the faith shooting down those that dare to dissent and trying to force them to accept the One True Word, an acceptance which incidentally is never going to happen.
You FM are someone who has proven themselves to have a track record in latching onto doctrines like a religion and denouncing anyone who doesn't adopt The Faith in the same way that you have, as heretics and simpletons who don't understand the issue or as minor insignificant flies in the ointment. One of these days you are just going to need to realise that everyone has different beliefs.

Take them off then.

Go and try and find the mud on my jacket in my 'proof mudguards are unnecessary' thread. Go on, off you go, there's a good lad.
Shut up bonj.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Indeed i do Bonj. You can have your opinion. At the moment with the dry weather no mudguards are good for me.
So is this thread over now, or are we going to go into another discussion about how you 'must' have mudguards on?
Bonj does has his view with there is no need, its the same as a view on saying one bike is rubbish because it doesnt suit that one person, would everyone moan at that aswell?
I can see the point of no mudguards, and round here the roads nearly always have road cack on them and what ever else is spilt on them or put on them. But now its dry i dont see the need for them to be on, for just in case it rains. But then i can just put the rear one on in 5mins and be off.
This has turned into the helmet and RLJ threads.

bonj2

Flying_Monkey said:
Bonj - I accept entirely that you are entitled to believe what you want about anything. Everyone else is also entitled to tell you that you are totally wrong. You've shown time and time again that you know jack all about cycling beyond your tiny personal experience. By all means discuss it, but don't think that your ideas count as anything to offer in the way of serious advice to serious questions. Most of us have been cycling many more kinds of bikes, and for a lot longer than you... so grow up a bit and stop being so self-centred.

all well and good for you to try and claim that - but if that was the case, why get so het up and argumentitive? If you thought no-one was going to listen to me you wouldn't feel the need to try and shoot me down would you? I know that you know that I'm not going to accept what you're saying, so it can only be for the benefit of the questionner or others reading for advice that you think there's a point in trying to point out how wrong I am. The fact that you haven't yet shown the intelligence to consider this proves that your above post is nothing more than an attempt to patronise me with gibbering sound-bites - and again, I know full well that you know it doesn't work - so stop playing up and trying to look all responsible for the non-existant camera that incidentally ISN'T on you and talk some sense for a change.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Indeed i do Bonj. You can have your opinion. At the moment with the dry weather no mudguards are good for me.
So is this thread over now, or are we going to go into another discussion about how you 'must' have mudguards on?
Bonj does has his view with there is no need, its the same as a view on saying one bike is rubbish because it doesnt suit that one person, would everyone moan at that aswell?
I can see the point of no mudguards, and round here the roads nearly always have road cack on them and what ever else is spilt on them or put on them. But now its dry i dont see the need for them to be on, for just in case it rains. But then i can just put the rear one on in 5mins and be off.
This has turned into the helmet and RLJ threads.

i don't have any issue with people recommnding mudguards, I don't have any issue with people using mudguards, the only thing I have an issue with is people who tell me I must be lying or that I'm an idiot because i recommend not having mudguards. Which to be fair doesn't include you Joe, so i don't have an issue with you whatsoever.
But in a way it's not even about mudguards, it's about people's inability or unwillingness to accept another point of view than their own, which in that sense makes it entirely comparable to the helmet issue - people choose to wear a helmet and they can't, or won't, understand why anyone else would choose not to.

bonj2

miloat said:
So whats your reasoning behind this then bonj?

the vast majority of the people are road bike riders?

bonj2

hmmm..., you're probably right actually going by the fact that the commuting forum has the most threads of all the cycling related forums. But the general impression i get is that it's mainly a 'utility' cycling forum. But when I say it's a road bike forum, that's because most people don't understand mountain bikes, they view a road bike as the 'default' bike

bonj2

And some people don't understand that there's more to cycling than either MTBs or road bikes.
Well... there's 'trekking', which is technically a form of MTBing, but if people who do it would call it as such for one thing and do it on the correct bike for another then it would be a lot more palateble.

Bonj

It's been proved to you, and you've accepted it, that mudguards can be necessary.

So for you to make a general statement to everyone that mudguards are unnecessary is wrong.

OK, well I'm willing to call a ceasefire. In other words, if instead of such sweeping generalisations based on my own experience I instead post things along the lines of the below, then if people could please stop trying to shoot me down and calling me a liar it would be much appreciated.
But if I try and be more rational and reasonable by modifying my position to the following but people still try and accept nothing less than toeing the party line with equivalent evangelism then I don't see why I should even bother to make the effort to be reasonable. A little bit of give on both sides. It's up to you lot - you should probably know by now that I seriously don't believe in mudguards and I'm not just doing it to wind people up, but I'm willing to be open minded if you are.

"I personally don't use mudguards and don't suffer any ill effects such as getting excessively wet and muddy from tyre spray - but you might want to look at the recommendations from other mudguard users as to what the best sort to get are if from your own experience you find that you do suffer from such spray. Don't just use mudguards because you've read that you should, use them because you find that on practical experience, you need them - in other words, don't be afraid to try various mudguard options including various makes of mudguard and also not having mudguards, till you find a configuration that suits you".

OK?

bonj2

"Mudguards are unnecessary"

What does that mean?

That I find mudguards unnecessary. How am I supposed to be able to know and therefore comment on whether anyone else finds them necessary? ;)

Top Bottom