Whats the best mudguards to get???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
bonj said:
If you think I'm being arrogant, then I'm genuinely sorry for that - I hate having to be, but I'm afraid I do geuinely feel quite strongly about what in my eyes is received wisdom being peddled, and I'm sure on the flip side you also feel that you are trying to give helpful advice in the face of what you see as unfair contradiction

Wrong, I see it as you giving 'humourous' but contentious advice in the face of an overwhelming consensus of positive experience.

BTW - get your peepers round this;
The attached pic is of my arm & sleeve after riding to meet Walker in the rain this evening. My trike has no front mudguards but if it had, my arm would not be covered in water and road sh*t. You can see the sand & grit all up the sleeve.

bonj2

you can post any number of muddy pics, and I can post any number of clean pics, it isn't going to change anything. We're just going to have to accept thatit's different for some people than others, it would be slightly suspect even if everyone experienced everything in exactly the same way.

If i could tell you what it is that i do that means i don't get muddy - i would, but I dont' know, i just DON'T....
Admittedly the front of my shins were wet today (similar to jiggerypokery's pic), not muddy, and only as wet as, say, my face was, so entirely attributable to forward motion incident upon raindrops en route from cloud to earth.

oh, and: trike - whole different kettleof fish. arms much closer to ground! specially if USS? and also TWO front wheels so point about the spray having to splay out to be incident on anything other than the downtube doesn't apply - your arms are directly behind the wheels aren't they?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
bonj said:
oh, and: trike - whole different kettleof fish. arms much closer to ground! specially if USS? and also TWO front wheels so point about the spray having to splay out to be incident on anything other than the downtube doesn't apply - your arms are directly behind the wheels aren't they?

Yes Bonj, exactly. Just as your feet are directly behind your front wheel.
You front wheel which also 'points about' or turns.

Isn't it really about time you moved along from being so pedantic
and acknowledge that most on here are talking about water and road grime and not mud in the literal sense.
Or do you require we refer to 'mudguards' as 'waterguards' so as not to test you ire and suffer such unecessary confusion in future?;)

bonj2

tdr1nka said:
Yes Bonj, exactly. Just as your feet are directly behind your front wheel.
You front wheel which also 'points about' or turns.
my feet aren't directly behind the front wheel, no.
It doesn't actually turn that much actually. I know if I am doing a sem-trackstand, the front of whichever foot is furthest forward can touch the back of the tyre if I turn it too much, so it certainly doesn't rotate that far in normal motion!

tdr1nka said:
Isn't it really about time you moved along from being so pedantic
and acknowledge that most on here are talking about water and road grime and not mud in the literal sense.
Or do you require we refer to 'mudguards' as 'waterguards' so as not to test you ire and suffer such unecessary confusion in future?;)

When i say 'mud', i mean EITHER mud or 'general road grime', i'm not being pedantic and saying I don't get mud on me but i do get road grime. I don't get dirt on me full stop - look at the pics in my other thread if you don't believe me.
Water on the shins, yes, but that's due to rain, not spray, I would imagine.
If I want to go the whole hog should I get a set of umbrellas fitted to my bike - one pointing upwards for when I'm still, another transparent one fitted to the front for when i'm cycling into the rain, and another one at the right of me so i dont' get splashed/sprayed by cars?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Bonj has said that any spray from the front wheel hits the down tube and not the feet. ;)

sonny

I have had to ride my bike recently without guards after many moths of riding with and I know for 100% certainty that they work. Spray is not just thrown up my back but up onto my face. In effect you are riding between two discs of spray and you are constantly riding into the front one.
In rain, or even just on wet roads they are hugely beneficial.
Today I bought and fitted a pair of full length SKS guards to my daily commuter, a Boardman Urban Pro. THEY WORK!

Top Bottom