What's the best saddle height?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
I havn't cycle for long, perhaps abt 3 mths and each time I cycle I raised my saddle ht as I'm getting more and more comfortable with each ride. And I thought I have reached a reasonable good ht having need to tip toe when come to a stop without displaying my butt from the saddle. Then I chance upon this article and with the Holmes method using 25 degree angle, I need to raise another inch and I find myself hardly could touch the floor, perhaps another half an inch away from floor now. I know this shld not be the criteria of saddle ht measurement whether toe can touch floor or not.

But this the situation when using Holmes method. Is that the normal ?

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/technique-how-to-get-your-seat-height-right-14608/

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I start with the heel method and then go from there, when I stop I have to get out of the saddle as I can't touch the ground at all, some would say it is too high, but I find it more comfortable

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Seat height has nothing to do with touching the floor with your feet as the bottom bracket height is different from bike to bike , to touch the floor i have to slide off the front of the saddle and once you get used to it then you can cycle a lot more efficiently.
I find these sites very helpful...
http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/bikefit.html
http://bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm

Interestingly enough i get the same saddle height when i use heel on pedal compared to the lemond method, the 109 % method gives me a measurement a good 1 cm lower than either of my prefered methods.Another good site is
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO&INTRO_LINK=NOREDIR
which also gives me figures in the same ballpark.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I have longish legs and big feet. So I have between a 5-10 degree angle at my knee when my pedal is down but I can still get my toe to the ground whilst in the saddle.

oldroadman

Veteran
Try this for a starting point. Measure inside leg, bare feet, to the floor. Calculate 0.883 of this measurement. Adjust saddle height so that centre of bottom bracket (or crank spindle if you like), to top of a FLAT saddle, measured along the seat tube, is this figure. Set saddle back so that the tip is around 5-10 cm behind a vertical line through the centre of bottom bracket. Adjust from there in very small increments, to get optimum position.
Forget about the floor distance, just slide off the front of the saddle if you need to.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
My "Whale amongst minnows" (Pashley's byeline for the Roadster Sovereign) is so tall on its 28" wheels I've always had to slide forward off the saddle when stopped. I've got the saddle fairly high now, having been raising it by about 6mm or so until it feels right. It's about 25mm higher than when I startred now, and I do believe the whole rig is a tad more efficient as a consequence.

Sandra6

Veteran
I can, just, touch the floor. Tbh I could probably stand to have the saddle a smidge higher but I'm comfortable at the moment.
When I stop I lean the bike so I can stand up without getting off the saddle though.

Teuchter

Über Member
I aim for knees just slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. No chance of touching the ground from the saddle. Like almost everyone else has said, get into the habit of sliding forwards out of your saddle when you stop... it's a saddle (for riding with), not a seat after all!

Trying to convince the kids that this is the correct height for their saddles is proving to be a struggle. Bloody cycling proficiency filling their heads with "toes on the ground" nonsense.

Sandra6

Veteran
I have the same argument with my kids!
My eldest son is the worst, but he's learning every time he comes home complaining of sore knees!

PpPete

Legendary Member
I have the opposite problem with my kids - convinced leg should be straight when at the bottom of the pedal stroke.
Mind you my 14 y.o. who is only 5'7" likes to wind me up by jumping on to my 25" frame fixie - with a good bit of seat tube showing as well. I have no clue how he can pedal it !

Top Bottom