What's the best small camera for cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I've been beset by problems on our outdoor cycling track in recent weeks and want to protect myself from one particularly troublesome young woman. I have a Polaroid cube camera but, like the Gopro cameras, the housing and mounting are large and obtrusive. I'm looking for the smallest, functional video camera I can use, either helmet, jacket or bar-mounted. I've seen loads on Amazon I'm currently considering. I'm not too concerned about cost, more functionality. Any advice on what to avoid and what to consider?

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I have the AKASO EK7000, (EBay or Amazon) perfectly happy with quality of video etc, but, it is no less noticeable than the Camera you have, I would have thought. I did previously have a Drift (forgotten exact model), but, it had a less obvious camera shape (looked like a front light), it worked well for over 5 years. Both the Drift and the AKASO have a remote control, so, if you just want to catch specific incidents, you can with on/off and do not have to record everything.

Last edited:
Good morning

Have you considered either your current phone or perhaps a used phone that you don't care about and an external USB camera.

If you search for usb camera mobile phone you may find a lot more devices than you were expecting to exist and in surprisingly small sizes

Bye

Ian

si_c

Guru
I've been beset by problems on our outdoor cycling track in recent weeks and want to protect myself from one particularly troublesome young woman. I have a Polaroid cube camera but, like the Gopro cameras, the housing and mounting are large and obtrusive. I'm looking for the smallest, functional video camera I can use, either helmet, jacket or bar-mounted. I've seen loads on Amazon I'm currently considering. I'm not too concerned about cost, more functionality. Any advice on what to avoid and what to consider?
What about the Cycliq Fly 12?

It's essentially a light with a built in camera, and looks like a bike light too, probably about as unobtrusive as you are likely to get, expensive though.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'm liking all of these recommendations and thanks to everyone for them. I'm weighing up all the options I have available.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have a Drift Ghost XL but the smaller Ghost X might suit, it sits on the helmet or the bars (with the right mount) and is not too boxy.
It certainly wasn't obvious to the driver who got out of a car & threatened to punch me last August, his trial will be in May.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
GoPro but spendy.

SJCAM M20 is really good for the money.

So what's this young 'lady' been doing ?

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
GoPro but spendy.

SJCAM M20 is really good for the money.

So what's this young 'lady' been doing ?
Right, we're talking about an outdoor track built to celebrate the Olympic Gold Medal won by local cyclist, Steven Burke. There's one in Leeds commemorating the Brownlees and it's basically the same, albeit a bit shorter. Just over 1 kilometre (Leeds is about a mile) and it's the shape of a 1980s telephone if you will. Unlike the Leeds track, there are no restrictions on access and it's completely free. Bear in mind it's a cycling track that is occasionally used for running races (once evening per month). There are signs outside the track urging people to behave themselves and to look out for bikes going round the track. Anyone running is asked and expected to run on the outside of the track and not impede cyclists. Now this young lady , sometimes accompanied by friends - who are not keen to be in her company for too long - does a sort of run/walk around the track always hogging the shortest line so always getting in the way of the cyclists using it. She has zero track etiquette and you can never be sure which line she will take, sometimes just veering off on a tangent. She's a real obstruction. If you dare take the 'cyclist's line', she is offended and demands you get out of HER way! I've had lots of verbals from her previously. This Monday, I wanted two fast (under 15 minute) five mile bursts but this was getting in her way. She shouts out foul-mouthed language at anyone who dares go around her and was so offended, she crossed from the home straight to the back straight that I was cycling down for the obvious purpose of stopping me. It was like the suffragette throwing herself in front of the King's horse! She walked deliberately towards me and tried to physically restrain me from going past her while coming out with offensive language. This in an age of social distancing. I told her that any more of this and she'd be charged with assault and another tirade of foul language ensued. She then took delight in taking my photograph every time I went past her. I don't know the purpose and she didn't tell me. But if she's got my photograph, then next time this occurs, and I'm sure it will, I'd like photographic evidence. As I'm doing absolutely nothing wrong, I don't want to be subject to lies or made-up stories and I'd have particularly liked to have her on film trying to physically restrain me.

Last edited:
Of you go down the camera route, just be careful of the cheaper ones - the software can be more of a problem than the camera, especially if you want to share it.

I'm not sure that a camera is the solution though.

Have you checked if there is a person/authority in charge that you can talk to about this?

Maybe, she's not aware of the rules and is elsewhere posting about a cyclist who keeps trying to run her down?

In an ideal world, you'd stop the next time you see her and calmly explain the rule(s), that you're training and it's really frustrating when people get in the way.
If that's not an option could you ask another cyclist, prefereably female to have a friendly word? Or maybe talk to one of her friends if they seem more approachable.

A camera won't stop things escalating, might be of some use if she jams a stick in your front wheel and won't be a lot of help if her boyfriend/brother/father jump you some night.

Good luck!

Top Bottom