What's the best small camera for cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, I've never been on the pump track. It's the adjacent cycling track I'm referring to.

Ah. What a crazy loon. It's a cycle track and that's it's sole purpose. Similar set up in Rhyl - road circuit, a pump track and a BMX circuit - all clearly say cyclists, although you do get folk hanging round on the pump track - they soon clear off when a trail bike comes hurtling towards them.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Hmm... not pleasant. You clearly need a camera which can record audio, as well as video. Good luck with this obnoxious individual. ;)

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Of you go down the camera route, just be careful of the cheaper ones - the software can be more of a problem than the camera, especially if you want to share it.

I'm not sure that a camera is the solution though.

Have you checked if there is a person/authority in charge that you can talk to about this?

Maybe, she's not aware of the rules and is elsewhere posting about a cyclist who keeps trying to run her down?

In an ideal world, you'd stop the next time you see her and calmly explain the rule(s), that you're training and it's really frustrating when people get in the way.
If that's not an option could you ask another cyclist, prefereably female to have a friendly word? Or maybe talk to one of her friends if they seem more approachable.

A camera won't stop things escalating, might be of some use if she jams a stick in your front wheel and won't be a lot of help if her boyfriend/brother/father jump you some night.

Good luck!
I've been using that track from the day it opened and believe me, there is no person/authority in charge; if only there was.

Maybe I forgot to mention that I and several other cyclists - some of them female - she was also impeding, did stop and explain to her the rules appropriate to the track but it meant nothing to her as she wasn't prepared to modify her use of it as she clearly can't see why she should. There's a canal less than 50 yards away she can do what she wants on but bikes are an impediment to her on the track, the one small traffic-free blessing us cyclists have been blessed with.

Last edited:
I've been using that track from the day it opened and believe me, there is no person/authority in charge; if only there was.

Maybe I forgot to mention that I and several other cyclists - some of them female - she was also impeding, did stop and explain to her the rules appropriate to the track but it meant nothing to her as she wasn't prepared to modify her use of it as she clearly can't see why she should. There's a canal less than 50 yards away she can do what she wants on but bikes are an impediment to her on the track, the one small traffic-free blessing us cyclists have been blessed with.
Well, it seems that all reasonable attempts have been made.
Are you friendly with a Policeman/woman willing to have a chat?
Or maybe concentrate on her friends?

If you do go down the camera route, I think you'll need sound to protect yourself. Or a recording app on your phone.
To be honest, I'd want the biggest, most obvious camera to let her know she's on Candid Camera.

Is there anything to be said for a bit of public shaming? Ideally a few cyclists approach them, ask for the rules to be respected and then post the clips online if things go as expected? The threat of online exposure might be the key to her friends talking sense to her.

Best of luck!

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Well, it seems that all reasonable attempts have been made.
Are you friendly with a Policeman/woman willing to have a chat?
Or maybe concentrate on her friends?

If you do go down the camera route, I think you'll need sound to protect yourself. Or a recording app on your phone.
To be honest, I'd want the biggest, most obvious camera to let her know she's on Candid Camera.

Is there anything to be said for a bit of public shaming? Ideally a few cyclists approach them, ask for the rules to be respected and then post the clips online if things go as expected? The threat of online exposure might be the key to her friends talking sense to her.

Best of luck!
I don't think shame is a word that has any relevance to her. She's just a trouble maker.

T4tomo

Guru
If she's doing it regularly to all cyclists, just use your phone to record her, or get a mate to record whilst you ride

She sounds like a self entitled nut job

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Glad you’ve found something that suits your requirements @PaulB I also would quite like one. Perhaps you could gi us an appraisal once you’ve tried it.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
For those interested in that particular track, an amazing thing occurred there last night. https://www.fastrunning.com/running...ritish-and-world-record-for-beth-potter/32174 An athlete broke the British and Women's World record for 5,000 metres on the road on that very track! It seems all the pent-up training done over lockdown helped a lot of athletes run PBs last night in what was the first race anywhere for a very long time.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It was obviously a very fast run. I am a bit confused by a world record for the road being run on a track though. Are there separate records, if so why, and therefore would this one count? :wacko:

How are you doing with your camera and the aggressive jogger?

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
It was obviously a very fast run. I am a bit confused by a world record for the road being run on a track though. Are there separate records, if so why, and therefore would this one count? :wacko:

How are you doing with your camera and the aggressive jogger?
It complies with all the necessary regulations needed. It's effectively a road surface so is taken full advantage of. I've seen athletes from as far afield as Portsmouth and Dundee come to race on it.

I've got this niggling hip problem so haven't done anything for several days so not had a run in with our friendly young lady. Camera remains boxed I'm afraid.

ChangFai

Just being curious, has all options already been mentioned?

Or does anyone have other small cameras for cycling to add, before I start looking for one this week?

Thanks to the OP for starting this timely thread.

Top Bottom