Whats the best Sunday roast ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Lamb shank. I'm trying to be veggie but I struggle when my mum does lamb shank.

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3724232, member: 259"]I'm sure sous-vide is great for lots of stuff, but surely you don't need to bother with all that faffing around for a rib of beef - just roasting it is dead easy and you get proper drippings for your yorkshire puds.[/QUOTE]

Different technique, different result.

Conventional roasting gives progressive degree of doneness from outside in.
SV gives uniform doneness throughout the joint.

Plus SV has the advantage that you don't need to be there to tend while cooking.

That being said, my preference with premium joints like rib is conventional roasting. SV I use for brisket, Oxford cheek, pig cheek, pork belly and the like

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Rib of beef done very rare, toasties in goose fat and / or dripping, Yorkshires and baby carrots.
Although slow-roasted shoulder of lamb is pretty good too. And so is beer can chicken...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Lamb shank. I'm trying to be veggie but I struggle when my mum does lamb shank.
Our large oval slow cooker just allows a leg of lamb to fit in cooked similarly, with carrots, onions. celery, garlic, sage and a bottle of red wine. I have found a fantastic tip though, lay 4-5 anchovy fillets on the top of the lamb whilst cooking. It may sound weird but it makes the lamb taste fantastic. (a bit like the welsh 'salt marsh' lamb?) :hungry:

OP
OP
luckyfox

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
Our large oval slow cooker just allows a leg of lamb to fit in cooked similarly, with carrots, onions. celery, garlic, sage and a bottle of red wine. I have found a fantastic tip though, lay 4-5 anchovy fillets on the top of the lamb whilst cooking. It may sound weird but it makes the lamb taste fantastic. (a bit like the welsh 'salt marsh' lamb?) :hungry:

May have a winner here, i think i'd like to try it but i've been off lamb for a bit.

SD1

If the only issue is with the poor lid fit, then the price difference between that and the others on test would buy you a helluva lot of cling film to seal it every time!
Thanks, decision made. Better one going but collection only, it won't sell and to far away. Will try my luck with an offer after he fails to sell. Thanks very much.

SD1

If the only issue is with the poor lid fit, then the price difference between that and the others on test would buy you a helluva lot of cling film to seal it every time!
Just as a matter, have you or anyone else tried canning (bottling) in a sous-vide?

LeonBlack

My wife makes a good Sunday dinner but if you fancy going out for one, you couldn't do much better than The Parlour in Chorlton

contadino

Veteran
Just as a matter, have you or anyone else tried canning (bottling) in a sous-vide?

In a less than scientific way, yes. My SV has a digital temperature controller that maintains the water in a specific temperature range (normally within a few degrees.) When bottling, I use a big (maybe 100ltr) pan with a gas spiral burner below it. It lacks precision, but I do batches of 40 bottles at a time, and the requirements are something like min 75 degrees for 20 minutes. So I get the water up to boiling, turn the gas off, and throw a bunch of old duvets over the whole thing.

Plus my SV pan is only about 18cm deep, which is too shallow for sauce bottles.

Top Bottom