Whats the best Sunday roast ever?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
It's Monday 2pm and I have checked out of the concentration of work and am now in the abyss of what to do this weekend. I'll drift in and out of this working/not working as required as the week goes on but first day of the week gets most of my effort at work...you know until 2pm.

Anyways, I saw a recipe for roast parsnip mash and I need to plan my Sunday dinner around it. I'm thinking a nice spot of glazed gammon, a good mustard, spring greens and some asparagus...?

So begs the question...whats your favourite Sunday roast??

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
made by somebody else :girldance:

slowwww

Veteran
Fore-rib of beef, 2 days in the Sous-vide at 56.5 deg. and then quick caramelising of the skin with a plumbers blowtorch.
Goose fat roast spuds and parsnips, each with a smear of marmite after par-boiling, gravy with juices from the sous-vide bag, steamed broccoli and carrots and peas.
Lashings of horseradish.

SD1

Fore-rib of beef, 2 days in the Sous-vide at 56.5 deg. and then quick caramelising of the skin with a plumbers blowtorch.
Goose fat roast spuds and parsnips, each with a smear of marmite after par-boiling, gravy with juices from the sous-vide bag, steamed broccoli and carrots and peas.
Lashings of horseradish.
Interesting, marmite never thought of that. May give it a try on wedges, which I think I have an addiction to!
Sous-vide, did you buy some special cooking equipment for this?
I was wondering about the pasturing effect (equal to or greater than 60 degrees?) Sounds like an excellent option for bottling?

slowwww

Veteran
Sous-vide, did you buy some special cooking equipment for this?
I was wondering about the pasturing effect (equal to or greater than 60 degrees?) Sounds like an excellent option for bottling?
Yes, a Sous-vide machine and vacuum sealer. Not cheap, but its ability to make cheaper cuts which are often more flavoursome but chewy, meltingly tender makes it worthwhile.

Never had an issue with red meat or fish under 60 deg, but I always cook poultry at 62-64 deg to be on the safe side.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Roast duck, with roasted beetroot, squash, peppers, carrots, potatoes and gravy. Washed down with some wine.... Maybe chuck in some fresh broad beans or peas .... Yummy ...pity it's Monday!

SD1

Must be vacuumed sealed? Looking through eBay, I found one for sale where the seller suggested zip lock? Would have thought that they might leak?

slowwww

Veteran
Must be vacuumed sealed? Looking through eBay, I found one for sale where the seller suggested zip lock? Would have thought that they might leak?
Good zip locks will work and will give the SV benefit of cooking the meat through evenly rather than being well done on the outside and progressively rarer as you get to the middle, but as vacuuming removes all the air the bag sinks to the bottom of the SV and so ensures that this doesn't bob about with parts of it not cooking properly.
Also the vacuum pressure is supposed to assistwith the tenderising porcess.

subaqua

What’s the point
Good zip locks will work and will give the SV benefit of cooking the meat through evenly rather than being well done on the outside and progressively rarer as you get to the middle, but as vacuuming removes all the air the bag sinks to the bottom of the SV and so ensures that this doesn't bob about with parts of it not cooking properly.
Also the vacuum pressure is supposed to assistwith the tenderising porcess.

or lack of it , being as a vacuum in engineering and other variants of APPLIED physics is a state where ambient pressure is lower than atmospheric pressure. ( hence Vacuum cleaner not being a wholly inaccurate description.

but a good zip lock with as much of the air expelled as possible does work nicely.

Jury is still out on the making it tender claims- needs enzymes to tenderise by breaking the meat down. ( bromelain found in pineapple is exceptionally good)

SD1

Go on tell me which one you own and also which vacuum sealer you own. If affordable I am having one. Can see myself going out for the day and coming back to a nice steak instead of the standard slow cooked stew.

slowwww

Veteran
Go on tell me which one you own and also which vacuum sealer you own. If affordable I am having one. Can see myself going out for the day and coming back to a nice steak instead of the standard slow cooked stew.
SousVide Supreme and Eiffel Freshpack Pro

Top Bottom