What's The Big Deal With Pannier Bags? Why Not Pannier Boxes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lovacott

Über Member
When I started commuting, I carried a backpack which basically turned my lower back into a sweat factory.

So I fitted a rack and bought some Pannier bags off Amazon (there was nowhere else open).

Within a few days, I'd given up on the panniers (leaky, cumbersome etc).

I popped into B&Q and bought a plastic storage box and fixed it to my rack.

It works a treat and keeps everything bone dry.

Cost me only a fiver and it ranks amongst the top ten in my "best ever fivers spent" league.

Does anyone else on here have anything similar?
box.jpg

ruffers

Veteran
I don’t use anything really as I don’t commute, but that is a very good idea 👍🏻

Drago

Legendary Member
I used to have a Keter bicycle top box. It was dry, secure, but it had disadvantages. It rattled and resonated when empty, while it was big it wasn't versatile - there's no stretching or jiggling it a bit to made odd shapes fit. And there was a noticeable aero penalty.

In the end I removed it and reverted to rucksack for commuting luggage.

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
I used to have a Keter bicycle top box. It was dry, secure, but it had disadvantages. It rattled and resonated when empty, while it was big it wasn't versatile - there's no stretching or jiggling it a bit to made odd shapes fit. And there was a noticeable aero penalty.
It looks really smart and I'd buy one right now if I knew where to buy it from.

bought some Pannier bags off Amazon (there was nowhere else open).

Within a few days, I'd given up on the panniers (leaky, cumbersome etc).
That there is your problem. 90% off the stuff sold on Amazon is absolute guff, fit only for landfill.

Decent panniers are amazing. I had a set of Altura Arrans for 12 years before one of the seams burst on one of them - and only when I overloaded it (though the later models are not nearly so robust)

vickster

Legendary Member
TBH, I haven't looked much since June. Back then, anything for bikes was on a ten to twelve week lead time.
Those linked a week or two Max

OP
OP
Lovacott

Lovacott

Über Member
That there is your problem. 90% off the stuff sold on Amazon is absolute guff, fit only for landfill.

The great thing is that you can send back the guff for an instant refund without leaving your armchair.

My main problem with quality panniers was the price. They look great and I'm sure they more than do the job, but I have to justify my purchases to the woman who is trying to teach our teenage kids about the value of money.

vickster

Legendary Member
Both over £20 used.

My B&Q box cost a fiver.

There must be something in between?

Maybe there is an untapped market for pannier boxes?
The eBay ones look good though... I’d never stick a square plastic box on the back of one of my bikes. :whistle:
I’d consider £20 cheap for something well made. My Topeak bags cost around £50 and my Ortlieb panniers well north of £100

Top Bottom