What's the common setting used on washing machines for cycle gear?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

i put it on the 'quick and cool' setting which is 30 deg.

Plax

Guru
I usually stick all mine on a 40° economy wash using non-bio washing powder. Sometimes, if I'm washing my wool jumper I'll put all my cycling gear in with it on the 30° wool cycle.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I'm with Plax here - a 40° on the "easy care" quick wash cycle with non-bio Persil is what mine get shoved into. I've had some of my kit for years and it still looks, fits and smells fine.

Chuffy's kit gets a bit stinkier than mine as he's not a lovely, fragrant gurl who never, ever sweats, but it seems to work on his kit too :smile:

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

Baggy said:
I'm with Plax here - a 40° on the "easy care" quick wash cycle with non-bio Persil is what mine get shoved into. I've had some of my kit for years and it still looks, fits and smells fine.

Chuffy's kit gets a bit stinkier than mine as he's not a lovely, fragrant gurl who never, ever sweats, but it seems to work on his kit too :smile:
Will give that a try next time me thinks.

Mine usually goes in on a 30 degree mixed fabrics quick wash - no conditioner. But some of the cheapo stuff just gets whacked in at 40 with the rest of my washing, it actually seems to survive quite well...

OP
OP
lonesome_rider

lonesome_rider

My 2 sets of Specialized bibs were £60 per pair, so would not want to mess them up that's for sure. Comfiest bibs I have ever worn. Got a cheap pair from Wiggle and they are utter rubbish. Will be heading there way to good old eBay at some point.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Mine usually gets chucked in with the standard wash (which is 40 degrees) along with my other washing and I've never had any problems.

I did try the only 30 degree wash cycle the other night as an experiment (it's the wool / extra-delicate wash on my machine). Problem is that it's only a half-spin so I have to remember to give it a full-spin afterwards, and I may have to check to see if I have an 'extra rinse' as I got powder marks on everything which doesn't happen on 40.

Confusingly, the label sewn into my new dHb Earnley bib shorts says hand-wash only, but the paper labels attached to them said 40 and 30. You never know who to believe :rolleyes:

gavintc

Guru
I can accurately state that 60 degrees is not good for a rain jacket. I had a nice brand new one, got back from a particularly horrid wet ride, stood in the kitchen, stripped and filled the machine - forgetting to check the temp. Result - non-waterproof jacket, a string vest would keep more out more water.

Usually I bung mine in on 30deg; there's three spin cycles on my machine and I've only used two of them :smile:, I can't remember theit names but I've had no problem with either. The aldi stuff I have are all 40 so they usually go in with the general stuff. I've got a couple of Pear Izumi tops which say handwash cold and no detergent. I usually them in the machine too with no detergent, the temp turned right down and on the shortest cycle and they're ok.

Danny

Legendary Member
Washing at 40 deg won't harm your kit, but most modern detergents work just as well at 30 deg.

Washing at 30 deg will save quite a bit of energy so will help keep bills down and reduce your carbon footprint.

Plax

Guru
goo_mason said:
Confusingly, the label sewn into my new dHb Earnley bib shorts says hand-wash only, but the paper labels attached to them said 40 and 30. You never know who to believe ;)

Well to completely detract from the subject, all my bras say handwash only. No blimmin way I'm handwashing a load of bras every week. I just stick them all in a pillow case with the normal wash and they've all been fine. So you could always stick any handwash stuff in a pillow case, although I suspect the bra's is the pillow case is mainly to stop the underwire bit escaping and damaging the drum or something.

Top Bottom