What's the deal with wheel reflectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
A question?

Are wheel reflectors required by law to be fitted to the spokes on bikes?

My Triban 3 came with them fitted and personally I think they look terrible. I would like to remove them as they don't do anything for the bikes looks. However, if I'm likely to get into trouble with the Fuzz if I remove them, then I guess they'd better stay.:scratch:

I believe bike shops are obliged to sell bikes with reflectors, but you are not, by law, obliged to keep 'em.

Get 'em off.

always take them off and replace them with 3M spoke reflectors which I much prefer.
I think there is this letter of the law and what you can get away with...

My understanding is this...
It is a legal requirement for your bicycle to be sold to you from a retailer with reflectors in place. However it is not a legal requirement to leave the reflectors on unless you are cycling at night.

Reflectors in this instance refers to pedal reflectors, wheel reflectors and rear reflectors (and should be of correct colour).
this is for the UK only. In Germany for instance, things are different completely.

A better article is here http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/regulations/lighting-regulations

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
My understanding is that only the red rear reflector and orange pedal reflectors are required by law.

Everything else is optional, but a good idea. Having said that, I'm not a fan of the standard wheel reflectors after having one move up its spoke and go through the fork sideways.:blink: My main bikes now have these removed!

I quite like the look of those 3M spoke reflectors. Reflective tyres are quite good too. These are Schwalbe Marathon:
HPIM0790a.jpg

The photo was taken a while ago and as you see, the strip on the sidewall reflects much better than the standard reflectors.

My understanding is that only the red rear reflector and orange pedal reflectors are required by law.

Everything else is optional, but a good idea. Having said that, I'm not a fan of the standard wheel reflectors after having one move up its spoke and go through the fork sideways.:blink: My main bikes now have these removed!

I quite like the look of those 3M spoke reflectors. Reflective tyres are quite good too. These are Schwalbe Marathon:
View attachment 19538

The photo was taken a while ago and as you see, the strip on the sidewall reflects much better than the wheel reflectors.

These are the spoke reflectors with Marathon Extreme tyres after not having been cleaned for 5,000km. the photo was taken at midnight in the midnight sun, witha camera flash, so bare in mind they are more obvious in car headlights in the dark... you can see the difference between our bikes and the 3rd bike in the picture. We only have the reflectors on every other spoke rather than on all spokes (which german law requires, we had cycled through germany so should have had a complete set on...:whistle:)

IMG_2068_800.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
These are the spoke reflectors with Marathon Extreme tyres after not having been cleaned for 5,000km. the photo was taken at midnight in the midnight sun, witha camera flash, so bare in mind they are more obvious in car headlights in the dark... you can see the difference between our bikes and the 3rd bike in the picture. We only have the reflectors on every other spoke rather than on all spokes (which german law requires, we had cycled through germany so should have had a complete set on...:whistle:)

View attachment 19540
They do work well.:thumbsup: I'll have to get myself some.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I also use those 3M spoke reflectors. If I remember rightly, a leaflet that came with one packet said that they conformed to German regulations when all the spokes had one.

I also use those 3M spoke reflectors. If I remember rightly, a leaflet that came with one packet said that they conformed to German regulations when all the spokes had one.
yep - but I just settled for every spoke on one side and then every spoke on the otherside with the other wheel, so it cost less to fitt out 2 bikes!

Top Bottom