What's the deal with wheel reflectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like a front wheel reflector on the commuter but dont really bother about them on other bikes.

I am sure every bike in Germany has some as they must obey orders.
They have a choice of 2 'normal orange' wheel reflectors per wheel, however if they want, they can use the 3M spoke reflectors instead but it must be on each and every spoke on both wheels. This also counts for anyone cycling through Germany. (we cycled through Germany as part of our world tour).

D

Deleted member 20519

The spoke reflectors do stand out at night, they look at a bit naff during the day though.

Keith Oates

Janner
Out here most of the cyclists do not have lights, which is foolish but a fact of life in these parts. However all bikes sold do have the reflectors fitted to the spokes on both the front and back wheels. Most people leave them on for no other reason than it's easier than taking them off. What I have noticed is that when in a car at night and the cyclist passes across the road ahead of the car, the spoke reflectors shine very well and only having one fairly big one on each wheel makes them very visible as they wheel goes around. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Another fan of the 3m spoke straws. The static shots don't really do them justice, when the wheel is going round they are more a wall of reflectance, so the weight weenies can get away with them every few spokes and have much the same visual impact as sticking a straw on every spoke.

I'm not sold on the need to put them on spokes on both sides of a wheel, there's nothing in the middle to stop them being visible from either side if just put on one side.

To whoever mentioned the Brompton, I have the 3M straws on my Birdy too, I've just cut them down a bit, for personal preference, the full length ones fit on an 18" wheel.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
stick to daytime and you are fine. By the letter of the law you need them between sunset & sunrise, but as mentioned above you are going to be exceptionally unlucky if you get pulled over for it, though in the event of 'you' causing an accident, it could be a different matter.
Interesting point about blame being placed, as a lot of bikes are probably technically illegal at night with clipless pedals or missing reflectors - mine is despite plenty of lighting and reflectives :smile:

sidevalve

Über Member
IMHO the only LEGAL requirement is the red rear reflector [as with cars trucks and m/cycles]. Lights being a requirement after dark only [again as with some motor vehicles].
Each to his own however, I usually fit a wheel reflector opposite to the valve as a sort of wheel balancing weight. Wether it works [or makes a scrap of difference] I don't know but as it serves a purpose anyway I rekon it can't do any harm.

Radchenister

Veteran
Won't be using spoke reflectors, no offence folks but they look like they belong on a 70's hippy clown's bike. :tongue:

I have relector bits built into shoes and clothing, how does that stand legally (they're not orange though)?

Radchenister

Veteran
Allienate self from practical types - tick.
Irritate the safety conscious - tick.
Rile the Rapha wearers (do they cycle at night when no-one can see their kit unless off to the Cafe?) - tick.
Who to stereotype and annoy next?
;)

Top Bottom