What's the earliest 'funny' that still makes you laugh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roley poley

Über Member
laurel and hardy taking that piano up enormous flights of stairs "the music box" that humour would work in any culture anywhere in the world

laurel and hardy taking that piano up enormous flights of stairs "the music box" that humour would work in any culture anywhere in the world
It makes me slightly sad that I don't really laugh at that stuff now; I can admire (and enjoy) two guys doing a brilliant performance, but that's about it.
(The recent Steve Coogan film about them was wonderful - but I think I only actually *laughed* at the meta-jokes. )

D

Deleted member 26715

Their timing was wonderful, spend many hours watching them as a kid, we were in Ulverston earlier in the year, amazing that a young guy from there could end up as a huge star in Hollywood, nothing against Ulverston, I just find it beyond comprehension that somebody could/would do that 100 years ago.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I bet if they brought out a programme containing all of the clips/jokes that had been cut from various shows by the PC squad (or Fun Police) there would be some right howlers and, I'm fairly certain that most people wouldn't be offended anyway.. Who are these people who decide what we will be offended by anyway?

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I bet if they brought out a programme containing all of the clips/jokes that had been cut from various shows by the PC squad (or Fun Police) there would be some right howlers and, I'm fairly certain that most people wouldn't be offended anyway.. Who are these people who decide what we will be offended by anyway?

You are not Mary Whitehouse and I don't claim my five pounds.

JPBoothy

Veteran
You are not Mary Whitehouse and I don't claim my five pounds.
There are such double standards these days though. We are not allowed to make reference to somebody's race, religion, skin colour, gender or sexual preference but, after 9pm on the TV you will hear the most vile language, witness terrible violence and have some idiot trying to pass it off as being a reflection on 'real life'..

gbb

Legendary Member
Mentioned a couple times but the Laurel and Hardy piano sketch is perhaps one of the very best...ever, ever. I remember watching it as a kid, classic stuff of the highest order.

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
There are such double standards these days though. We are not allowed to make reference to somebody's race, religion, skin colour, gender or sexual preference but, after 9pm on the TV you will hear the most vile language, witness terrible violence and have some idiot trying to pass it off as being a reflection on 'real life'..
What double standards? In what sense is saying racist language is unacceptable but extreme violence ok double standards? It may be many things, but I can't see how it's double standards. For my own part I'm pleased it's no longer ok to depict characters using racist or sexist slurs on telly. I'm also happy that it's left to me to decide whether I watch Quentin Tarantino movies, rather than have someone else decide for me. Is that double standards? Why?

Top Bottom