What's the earliest 'funny' that still makes you laugh?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Anything that still makes you chuckle randomly later in the day and gets you a few odd looks. The old Seaside post cards are still guaranteed to bring a smile to my face. Purile and childish Inuendo without being blatantly rude and, more importantly without any bad language to offend. I think the 'new' breed of comedians that recycle old material and add a large helping of F###### bad language are just desperate for laughs and lack any imagination of their own 😇
If Ken Dodd could sit on stage for 4.5 hours in a 2 hour show & not utter one word of obscenity & still be hilariously funny why can't they? Mother & Father in Law saw him a few times, he would have the bus timetable on stage with him & when he started to overrun which was every time he would start advising people when they were due (buses) so that they could stay right up to the last minute.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Here's one from primary school:
Why are there no phone books in China?
Because there are so many Wings and Wongs that people would always wing the wong number.

JPBoothy

Veteran
I'm obviously not quite as old a git as the posters above: for me it would be the first (radio) episode of Hitchhikers Guide (1979? Ish). Before that I don't remember very much as I was too young, or jokes were just daft kids stuff.
Do you remember the jokes before swearing was added to them then? What's your view on Seaside postcards ?

JPBoothy

Veteran
Here's one from primary school:
Why are there no phone books in China?
Because there are so many Wings and Wongs that people would always wing the wong number.
I always laugh at the old insult "He/She has more chins than the Hong Kong phone book" :laugh:

Old and Childish but still not too offensive IMO.

gbb

Legendary Member
Derek and Clive. All these years later it makes me titter.
I remember listening to one of theirs on vinyl circa 1979, it was absolute, undiluted filth, the kind of filth that would outrage people then, let alone now.
The 'normal' sketches I've seen from TV shows are marvelous.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Laurel and Hardy. Made me laugh as a child and still do.
Classic 'harmless' slapstick.. My kids have taken the DVDs on our static Caravan holiday holidays for the last 10yrs and still insist that we take them despite now being teenagers. They also insist on only watching them in B+W not the false colour version.

Old jon

Guru
The Plank

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Every now and then something brings to mind a cartoon t-shirt design that used to appear in the small ads of Marvel comics when I were a nipper, 50+ years ago: two surly-looking buzzards side by side on a branch, bearing the legend: "Patience my ass - I'm gonna kill something." It still makes me laugh even now. What's the earliest joke (any format) you can recall that still amuses you today?

Now that brings back forgotten memories. In my late teens I used to have a T shirt with one of two vultures saying that to his fellow vulture.

One which for some reason, still makes me laugh, is a line in Carry On Cowboy. Sid James as the Rumpo Kid says "Once talked peace with a Sioux; but you can't trust them. One minute it was peace on and the next peace off."
The Carry On films generally left me cold, but I can still recall chuckling for ages when I "got" that gag.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
If Ken Dodd could sit on stage for 4.5 hours in a 2 hour show & not utter one word of obscenity & still be hilariously funny why can't they? Mother & Father in Law saw him a few times, he would have the bus timetable on stage with him & when he started to overrun which was every time he would start advising people when they were due (buses) so that they could stay right up to the last minute.

seen Ken Dodd a couple of times , book him for an hour, you get four.

You reminded me of an event I was at about 20 years ago. It was a golf event men only ( I was working I don’t do golf) , they had two after dinner speakers, one was a ‘66 England football player ( can’t remember who) and one was the comedian TomO’Connor. He stood for an hour and told the funniest gags, to a load of pissed up blokes, he pulled the roof in, and not a racist, sexist, foul word came from his lips. A real class act.

Top Bottom