What's the etiquette before passing someone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
I meant the left with the other cyclist on my right. I sometimes have these brainwaves, seriously if I passed on the right in this country I'd end up part of a lamp post.
Or as Captain Mainwairing would say "well done I was waiting for somebody to spot that".:laugh:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Still sounds like you are 'undertaking', eg. passing between the cyclist and curb?

515mm

I meant the left with the other cyclist on my right. I sometimes have these brainwaves, seriously if I passed on the right in this country I'd end up part of a lamp post.
Or as Captain Mainwairing would say "well done I was waiting for somebody to spot that".:laugh:

So that's YOU, the faster guy on the LEFT and the slower guy on the RIGHT. And you ride in the UK?

Are you SURE that's what you mean?

the_mikey

Legendary Member
With all the noise my fulcrum racing freewheel makes, I'm sure people know I'm approaching long before I get anywhere close to overtaking, but I usually shout 'passing to your right' before passing. Sometimes I'll say 'morning' , 'afternoon' etc..

Seigi

I often feel...uneasy about saying anything to when I pass someone in the fear it might sound pompous or smug, even if I am smug I don't really want to rub it in their face... Although the other day I was passed by a very quick roadie (on a road which I thought I was going quick :tongue:) who said "Hello!", me being in my own little world was like "Ugh..hi.." :tongue:

Cyclopathic

Veteran
What is this concept of passing people you talk about? :biggrin:

My sentiments exactly.

Is there any etiquette for what to say as someone glides effortly past as I struggle and sweat to maintain my speed into a slight headwind? Not that it makes much difference because they will likely be a spot on the horizon before I get enough puff to come out with anything other than a slightly disgruntled wheeze.

twobiker

Whilst out on my tourer I was passed by a roadie probably 30 yearsyounger than me, flew past ,said hello and was gone,when i got a couple of miles up the road, there he was again stopped,having a breather, the reason was I had gone a shorter route, about 4 mls approx, his face when I blasted past was a picture I said hello and then turned off at the next junction . sweet.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I like to pass people whilst riding no hands, taking off a layer or taking a swig from the bottle whilst singing a song.

Enw.nigel

I always say 'good morning' because my rides tend to be in the morning.I would not dream of passing anyone without acknowledging them and that applies to the many horse riders I see out on my travels. There again we Welsh are a friendly bunch anyway.

Stuartaw11

Regular
I think when passing a fellow cyclist a cheeky pat on the backside and a " keep up lad" is the way forward! ha, just kidding, I passed a middle aged chap a few weeks ago riding to Matlock, I smiled and said good morning, he mumbled hare and the tortoise! Haha bless him, it made me smile

Top Bottom