What's the farthest you have ridden on a hybrid bicycle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jamieyorky

Veteran
Im riding York to Scarbrough and back today on my Saracen flat bar.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Much as I dislike the lazy term "hybrid", both my main bikes fit the broad category (and one is a Raleigh Pioneer, the model that started the trend) so I'll pitch in with 115 miles on the Raleigh and 107 miles on my Hawk.

I would thoroughly recommend bar ends for this kind of distance and a comfy saddle is a must - leather ones work for me. :okay:

User269

one of my friends thought the hybrid was inappropriate

What nonsense, it doesn't make any difference, unless...........................it makes a difference; if you find it uncomfortable, a poor fit etc.

Over 40 years ago I enjoyed riding all sorts of 'inappropriate' bikes, and enjoyed it just as much as I now enjoy riding my assorted titanium and carbon fibre dreambikes.

OP
OP
Gravity Aided

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I had a used Scott San Francisco once. I thought it was good value for money. Heavy, though, and too small. A Selliton.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I tour on my Ridgeback Adventure hybrid and 100-120 miles a day were perfectly doable (with 2 Big Carradice panniers and a top bag on the rear and the tent/sleeping bag on the handlebars) I cannot begin to think how many miles we have covered in total but a guestimate would be over 20,000 in the 16 yrs I,ve ha it. (But it also doubles up as a 'wet weather' commuter as it has "Flinger" 3/4 mudguards as seen here)
79517-1538913230bf2105d97c2c04e4701245.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Topeak Bikamper much in evidence, @raleighnut . How does that work out for you?
I love it, but then I'm used to a bivvy bag when solo backpacking so it's bigger than one of those meaning the panniers fit inside as well and with not having poles it packs down really small and has fittings to attach it to the handlebars/stem built into the bag.
Not everyone's cup of tea and TBH it is a pain getting out of it in heavy rain but then so is a bivvy. I only used that piccie cos it shows the 3/4 length 'Flinger' mudguards that are fitted to the Ridgeback and are surprisingly effective, although the rear ends at the tail of the rack it still keeps the water off your bum back.

Top Bottom