Whats the fastest you've been on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

47.something on my mountain bike, with slicks on down a steep hill with a tail wind! ;0)

I live near the Black Hill Transmitter and the run down from it to the village is great fun. Like a roller coaster for bikes. The fastest point is where the road drops sharply over a little bridge before swooping up to the right on the other side. My friend and I used to always compete to see who could record the highest speed and the wind was always the limiting factor. If the wind wasn't behind you, forget it.

blackhill-df-05.jpg

One day I could see as soon as I left the house that the wind was in the right direction and was really strong, I couldn't wait to get around to the drop from the transmitter! :0) We knew where to pedal like mad, where to tuck in, and after I'd pinned that speed up Richard didn't mention his speeds again. He had no chance. He was lighter than me and his full-sus bike had big knobbly tyres on.

In fact I've done that ride loads of times since and never got near that speed again myself. High thirties is the norm.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
spindrift said:
and the highest speed I've seen is 105kph.

hOLY CARP!

Spelling corrected for you. :biggrin:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Molecule Man said:
66.6 kph (~42 mph) between Troutbeck and Nyanga in Zimbabwe.

A bit scary in retrospect, since it was getting late, and the road was so quiet that I might not have been discovered until next morning if I had had an accident.

Possibly faster on the tandem when my girlfriend was driving, but we didn't have a computer.

Oooh, I know that road, I used to be quite naughty on it in a car and my motorbike. Never cycled it though.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I regularly do 43mph down the little hill at Leaves Green on my 'bent, still get cars overtaking me even though it's a 40 limit. I've done 38mph down there on my fixed, at 185rpm. The club rider coming the other way had a face with jaw-dropped astonishment!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
BentMikey said:
I regularly do 43mph down the little hill at Leaves Green on my 'bent, still get cars overtaking me even though it's a 40 limit. I've done 38mph down there on my fixed, at 185rpm. The club rider coming the other way had a face with jaw-dropped astonishment!

Shorts on fire moment then !!! :biggrin::angry:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Alright hackers! How's life?

Oh, I've also done ~70km/h in Sardinia on my skates at the front of a paceline. I had speed wobble with both my skates oscillating left/right, I was not happy. 43mph. The problem with being in a paceline is that it makes you a shitload faster than you'd be on your own, since all the skaters behind end up pushing you faster and faster since they're sitting in the hole in the air behind you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How the hell do you do 43 mph in skates..... ??????????????? Down hill ???????????

Top Bottom