Whats the fastest you've been on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Bonj.

1. There is no offence of speeding on a bicycle in British law. The only offence that can apply is cyling 'furiously', which is a judgement call for the police involved, but would tend to imply being dangerously out of control.

2. You need to do more road cycling if you think any of the speeds quoted here are unbelievable. These are the fastest people have ever gone, remember not an average. They are sound perfectly credible to me. I remember that there was a great video posted on the old C+Forum by someone who had touched 60mph down one of the great French descents. And yes, professional cyclists can reach 70mph on some occasions.

You seem to have difficulty with things you just haven't personally experienced.

byegad

Legendary Member
bonj said:
That it's NOT against the law. In other words I think a lot of people think that what 'the speed limit' means is that it's illegal for ANY vehicle to exceed it, rather than that it's illegal for motor vehicles to. Where does it actually SAY that the speed limit applies only to MOTOR vehicles?

I know from a technical point of view that it would be possible for a cyclist to set a speed camera off, but it (probably) wouldn't be then possible to identify them from the photo as they don't have a reg.

I know, there was a story in the latest C+ about a fella who did that and was hauled back up by a string of inner tubes, a tall story which i'm sceptical of tbh, but a good one anyway.
Perfectly true his team used all their spares and abandoned the next day for lack of rubber.

U

User169

Flying_Monkey said:
Bonj.

1. There is no offence of speeding on a bicycle in British law. The only offence that can apply is cyling 'furiously', which is a judgement call for the police involved, but would tend to imply being dangerously out of control.

You seem to have difficulty with things you just haven't personally experienced.

So far as I am aware, there is no offence of "cycling furiously". Perhaps you are thinking of s35 of the Offences Against The Person Act 1861 which provides for an offence of "wanton or furious driving or racing" which causes bodily harm to another. It is not clear to me that speeding on a bicycle would be caught by this, although it has been applied to drunk cycling I believe.

Also, and as pointed out by Jaded above, the offences set out in sections 28 (Reckless cycling) and 29 (Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 might be applied to speeding.

Then there are local provisions such as the Royal Parks Regulations which provide specifically for bicycle speeding offences - see the Richmond Park hoohah.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Delftse Post said:
So far as I am aware, there is no offence of "cycling furiously". Perhaps you are thinking of s35 of the Offences Against The Person Act 1861 which provides for an offence of "wanton or furious driving or racing" which causes bodily harm to another. It is not clear to me that speeding on a bicycle would be caught by this, although it has been applied to drunk cycling I believe.

Also, and as pointed out by Jaded above, the offences set out in sections 28 (Reckless cycling) and 29 (Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 might be applied to speeding.

Then there are local provisions such as the Royal Parks Regulations which provide specifically for bicycle speeding offences - see the Richmond Park hoohah.

I was aware of this which is why I put the 'furiously' in inverted commas and not the cycling, and mentioned the other qualifications... it applies to all vehicles but the laws on speeding do not apply to bicycles.

The detail is most welcome, however. ;)

Molecule Man

bonj said:
going at speed on a bike's the least of your worries! You could have been kidnapped by robert mugabe and imprisoned and not allowed to leave the country!

Interesting that you've been to zimbabwe though, was it nice?

This was back in 1995, before the current situation developed. I think it was before the government started to get tough on land reform, and I don't think there was anything in the news at the time about any significant repression of opposition politicians. It was in the middle of quite a serious drought though.

Certainly, as a tourist, I was made to feel very welcome, and it was a great trip. I didn't really use my bike much for long-distance touring, I took buses and trains from one centre to another and cycled around when I got there, so I didn't really see the proper rural areas. It's an amazing place for cycle-touring, especially the mountains in the east.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Seems I am wrong about furious cycling after all - sorry! Bicycles are still not covered by speeding regulations (1984) which only deal with motorised vehicles.

Here is the full section of the Road Traffic Act 1988 applying to bicycles. What constitutes recklessness, carelessness or inconsiderate cycling would still be a judgement call by a police officer (and then later by a magistrate)... it would make sense to argue that cycling over the speed limit might indeed constitute an offence, but it can't be argued on the basis of the speed alone for cyclists.

RTA 1988 excerpt

Cycling offences and cycle racing

28 Reckless cycling A person who rides a cycle on a road recklessly is guilty of an offence.
In this section “road” includes a bridleway.
29 Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.
In this section “road” includes a bridleway.
30 Cycling when under influence of drink or drugs (1) A person who, when riding a cycle on a road or other public place, is unfit to ride through drink or drugs (that is to say, is under the influence of drink or a drug to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the cycle) is guilty of an offence.
(2) In Scotland a constable may arrest without warrant a person committing an offence under this section.
(3) In this section “road” includes a bridleway.
31 Regulation of cycle racing on public ways (1) A person who promotes or takes part in a race or trial of speed on a public way between cycles is guilty of an offence, unless the race or trial—
(a) is authorised, and
(:rolleyes: is conducted in accordance with any conditions imposed,
by or under regulations under this section.
(2) The Secretary of State may by regulations authorise, or provide for authorising, for the purposes of subsection (1) above, the holding on a public way other than a bridleway—
(a) of races or trials of speed of any class or description, or
(:o) of a particular race or trial of speed,
in such cases as may be prescribed and subject to such conditions as may be imposed by or under the regulations.
(3) Regulations under this section may—
(a) prescribe the procedure to be followed, and the particulars to be given, in connection with applications for authorisation under the regulations, and
(B) make different provision for different classes or descriptions of race or trial.
(4) Without prejudice to any other powers exercisable in that behalf, the chief officer of police may give directions with respect to the movement of, or the route to be followed by, vehicular traffic during any period, being directions which it is necessary or expedient to give in relation to that period to prevent or mitigate—
(a) congestion or obstruction of traffic, or
(B) danger to or from traffic,
in consequence of the holding of a race or trial of speed authorised by or under regulations under this section.
(5) Directions under subsection (4) above may include a direction that any road or part of a road specified in the direction shall be closed during the period to vehicles or to vehicles of a class so specified.
(6) In this section “public way” means, in England and Wales, a public highway and, in Scotland, a public road and includes a bridleway but not a footpath.
32 Electrically assisted pedal cycles (1) An electrically assisted pedal cycle of a class specified in regulations made for the purposes of section 189 of this Act and section 140 of the [1984 c. 27.] Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 shall not be driven on a road by a person under the age of fourteen.
(2) A person who—
(a) drives such a pedal cycle, or
(B) knowing or suspecting that another person is under the age of fourteen, causes or permits him to drive such a pedal cycle,
in contravention of subsection (1) above is guilty of an offence.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Young Un said:
if u were to go past a speed camera doin more than the speed limit can you be done, and how.

also what about if a cop car is behind you.

dont want to get pulled over at 13 going down one hill so fast tht it made my eyes water -- got the bike comp workin so will see how fast it actually was

I have not had a speed camera flash when i have been going over the speed limit and there has been one there.
If one was behind you or around, sit up and put your hands on the brakes. You cant run down a big hill on your brakes all the time or they will be nothing left by the bottom. If the hill is big enough then some of the cars will be going faster, and you can be about 3-4mph over the speed limit and still have a numpty in a car pass.
Your eyes can water at any speed really, if i start off and go straight down my hill, i will be going down doing 30mph and my eyes will be water. But when in a chain gang can go along doing 30mph in some sections and not have a problem. At 40mph i dont think they watered either.
Speaking to a police officer that works on the speedin camera he said that if you are speeding and the police are grumpy and have proof of your speed they can put points on whatever licence you have. Dont know if he was just saying it or if it can be done though.

Jaded

Joe24 said:
Speaking to a police officer that works on the speedin camera he said that if you are speeding and the police are grumpy and have proof of your speed they can put points on whatever licence you have. Dont know if he was just saying it or if it can be done though.

It cannot be done.

Surprisingly, many police officers don't know all the law of the land.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You have just confirmed what i thought. I said to him that it isnt possible be he said it is. I couldnt be arsed to keep saying no it cant be done and just said ok and walked off.

dodgy

So 2 cyclists do an RLJ and both are caught, but only the one with the driving licence gets punished?

Dave.

dodgy

OK, but same principle. The driving licence holder is still 'punished' to a greater extent for the same 'crime'.

Dave.

bonj2

User said:
The Bike for All information is out of date. 'Cycling furiously' is no longer an offence, and the cases to which the Australian barrister (why not try a British one, eh) are not precedent setting. Jaded is correct - the extant offences are those under the Road Traffic Act 1988.

oh so it's ok to cycle furiously now then? phew, that's a relief - i love cycling furiously.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

Dont think a court can add points for rlj. There is a home office circular which deals with this saying that it should be dealt with by way of FPN. Failing to adhere to a home office circular would be an abuse of process by the mags court. Aint gonna happen trust me.

However interestingly there is (and has periodically been) a push toward adding points to licence/disqualifying drivers for all sorts of non traffic matters such as ASBO, SCPO, (serious crime prevention order). Non payment of fines and maintenance. These initiatives tend to come to nought because the goverment and its agents arent grrat at long term stuff. They tend to live for the moment.

Andy

By the way thanks for my first post to get over 100 replies!

Top Bottom