Whats the fastest you've been on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Pandy

Only 34 mph, but it was on a fixie and my legs were going like whirlwinds. You could almost hear the car drivers thinking, why doesn't he just change gear!!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
joebe said:
Same hill - 45mph about 8 years ago. I expect to smash that a week on Sunday when I do it on a road bike:eek:

Ditchling Beacon doesn't go down into Brighton lads! I suspect you mean Coldean Lane which I've done 45 mph on.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
They must of been, I usually only max at 28-29.5. I've never had Broughton St clear (downhill anyway :smile:). I'm a bit wary of all the side roads and idiots pulling out from the left at the roundabout at the bottom anyway so I don't think I've been faster than 30.
I think I prefer the predictability of traffic at lights; if the minor road has a red light and the main is on green they can't pull out.

Just recently with the tram works on Leith Walk the traffic backs up along York Place, and I have been able to nip round through the green light (leaving the drivers fuming at the top :thumbsup:) and have a clear run down Broughton St. The side roads are a wee bit of a worry, but holding primary gives me the option of dodging either way if I need to and there are good sight lines approaching the roundabout at the bottom, but I always slow on approach to it just in case.

bonj2

:angry::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::biggrin::rolleyes:
***sssssssiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhh*****......

After the first few pages of belief, it seems folk have latched onto the fact that no-one's batting an eyelid and have started to crank it up a bit.
We started out well - but we've took a bad line, lost control of the plot, and strayed OFF the sweet, smooth, flowing singletrack of truth, and veered wildly and uncontrollably onto the clarty, barren, lumpy moor of bollocks.

You can almost hear the thought process:

*hmmm.....wonder what to post...*
*I know! :*
*look up fastest speed in tour de france*
*multiply by 90% to make it believable*
*put that*
e.g.:

Pottsy said:
I've done 54.5 mph, and that's true. TdF cyclists regularly hit 60mph in the mountains.

And I don't care if bonj believes me or not.

:rolleyes:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
49 mph on Ventoux.
Averaged 40mph top to bottom... 22km!

Gonna crack 50 on coming-off Ditchling this year.

One of Bent Mikeys skating pals was clocked at 42mph by my pal on the same hill... on blades (nutter).

i think most of these speeds are believable. on some of the hills we have round here ,Lancashire and the Yorkshire dales, they're easily achievable, especially if you're 16 stone and have a good tailwind!
mid to high 40's are quite commen.

Pottsy

bonj said:
:angry::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::biggrin::rolleyes:

After the first few pages of belief, it seems folk have latched onto the fact that no-one's batting an eyelid and have started to crank it up a bit.
We started out well - but we've took a bad line, lost control of the plot, and strayed OFF the sweet, smooth, flowing singletrack of truth, and veered wildly and uncontrollably onto the clarty, barren, lumpy moor of bollocks.

*put that*
e.g.:

:rolleyes:

I understand how you're thinking but unfortunately it just really is true. Sorry.

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

bonj said:
:tongue::rolleyes::ohmy::rolleyes::angry::rolleyes:

*put that*
e.g.:

:tongue:

Phew............ i passed the Bonj truth test.

byegad

Legendary Member
bonj can believe what he likes. I regularly top 30mph downhill (actually on most of my rides) and see 40mph several times a month. If I really wanted to go for speed I know that from Tow Law to Wolsingham there are two sections where the other traffic is the limiting factor and speeds over 40mph are easily possible. Could I reach over 50mph? Possibly, and on a recumbent trike it would be safer than on two wheels.

Proto

Legendary Member
According to my trusty Avocet computer, I achieved 51 mph down Chinnor Hill into er ..... Chinnor. Overtook a woman driving an old Mini.

And again 51 mph down Howes Hill into Watlington from Nettlebed direction.

This was years ago. Not sure I'd be brave enough to do it again now I'm older and wiser. The amount the forks and frame deflect and distort is seriously disturbing.

BTW Chinnor Hill is a 30 limit now :tongue:

Young Un

if u were to go past a speed camera doin more than the speed limit can you be done, and how.

also what about if a cop car is behind you.

dont want to get pulled over at 13 going down one hill so fast tht it made my eyes water -- got the bike comp workin so will see how fast it actually was

Molecule Man

66.6 kph (~42 mph) between Troutbeck and Nyanga in Zimbabwe.

A bit scary in retrospect, since it was getting late, and the road was so quiet that I might not have been discovered until next morning if I had had an accident.

Possibly faster on the tandem when my girlfriend was driving, but we didn't have a computer.

Top Bottom