Whats the fastest you've been on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
47mph - currently looking for a steeper/longer hill to grab that extra 3mph, ideally one in a 30mph limit and with a speed camera towards the bottom of it. :-)

Wolf04

Modest 34 mph down a seriously long steep residential street in Fenham Newcastle. In a group of about ten. Cars flying past us, truly exhilarating. Stopped at pub in Wylam for a quick refreshment then back. I had to walk most of its length. So technically my fastest and slowest. Oh and the Wylam Brewery's summer magic was, well magic.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Broke 50 coming down Tan Hill back when I had a computer on the bike. I don't bother with one any more so I have no idea if I have been faster since... but it would be unlikely.

neslon

73kph on a Grisley MTB coming down the hill of doom from Istan to Marbella. Completely scary and will not be repeated.

46.7mph down the String Road on Arran on the road bike. I think I could of went faster but I got stuck behind a Suzuki not so Swift on the bends. I'm a pretty nervous descender usually; I usually chicken out ;) if I can't see round the bend. On the commute the fastest is around 32mph down Dundas Street, Edinburgh.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Vision VR40 Recumbent, 45mph down a hill in Franklin, Massachusetts

Raleigh Technium mtb with slicks, 45mph down a hill in New Hampshire

Mongoose Rockadile hardtail mtb, 45mph down a hill in Western Massachusetts

Cannondale CAAD4 R500 road bike 47mph -Mt Wachusetts, Massachusetts

Dawes Sardar, 50mph down a mountain road in Maine

I've gone about 45mph numerous times on various bikes, just can't remember all of them. These speeds are all rounded down from cyclocomputer readings I'd measured and set, so I think they are reasonably accurate. I'm sure I could have broken 55mph going down Mt Wachusetts, but I had horrible Conti tyres on that had a bobble going and I wasn't going any faster.

Edit: perhaps the potential to go the fastest was going 45mph on knobbies on the Mongoose mtb; interestingly all the bikes felt nice and stable.

ghitchen

andyfromotley said:
hey g cool,
is that sports tracker any good?
andy

Andy,

Yes, I think Sports Tracker is very good, and it is free. I have a Nokia N81 which doesn't have inbuilt GPS so I had to buy an external bluetooth GPS, but I had already bought that to use with Nokia Maps for in-car navigation.

There is also another piece of free software on the Nokia Labs site called Location Tagger that tags photos with the GPS position. When you upload journeys from Sports tracker to the website it will search for associated photos and upload them as well.

When you log a journey you have the option of "live tracking" which uploads your position to the website as you go so that people can track your progress in almost real time.

While it is running it works like a bike computer and displays speed, average speed, distance etc etc and has multiple screens that you can scroll through. This would only be useful with a handlebar mount of some sort; I just put mine in my pocket (plus the screen is hard to read in bright sunlight anyway).

It allows you to save repeated journeys as routes and then you can tell it each time your ride the same route so it can group them together and you can see your performance against the same route for multiple journeys.

It has graphs of speed v distance, speed v time, time v altitude for each journey. It also has the facility to record laps. You can use it to record different activities e.g. running, rowing etc. It is missing mountain biking but you can define a couple of custom activities of your own to cover this (I didn't want this grouped with (road) cycling).

When you upload journeys to the web you can define if they are private, for friends or for anybody. You can also export or import journeys, but I haven't tried any of that.

Definitely worth a try if you have a compatible mobile.

Regards

Gary

Top Bottom