Whats the fastest you've been on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
There's a hill up the Lickeys that isn't steep, bt a combination I think of a good road surface and length means that I can hit 40 on it on my hybrid every time.

My fastest was the same stretch on an MTB tandem. It was around 46-47, and felt surprisingly safe.

...apart from a few manhole covers (I've been down it fast in the rain stupidly) and the roundabout at the bottom!

byegad

Legendary Member
yenrod said:
I'd like to see proof of these TdF stories which Ive heard in the past too Potts...

I dont dis-beleive but evidence would be good..just out of interest.

Tour de France coverage often shows a shot of the Motorcycle speedo. They pan from the rider(s) they're following, down to the speedo and back to the rider(s). This to me shows the Moto is travelling at the same speed as the rider(s) and the highest speed I've seen is 105kph.
Moto cameras reach a higher top speed than the riders on twisting descents as the Moto corners slower than the cyclist and has to catch up on the straights but the 105kph is a genuine reading for the racers in my opinion.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
HLaB said:
On the commute the fastest is around 32mph down Dundas Street, Edinburgh.

Wow were all the lights on green? I avoid Dundas Street because there are just too many traffic lights. I did 35mph on Broughton St recently on one of those rare occasions when there was any traffic to get in the way...

Tetedelacourse

Just so happens I broke my own average speed record today on the way to work. Yeeha! 31.1kph over 12 miles of the most challenging terrain in the UK (well, maybe not!). Must have looked a right tete when I got off my bike and teetered across the car park though!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
About 60 mph coming down into Betsw-y-coed with a group of 6 of us - windless day, good road surface and sweeping bends....

55 mph a month back coming off Woodhead with a howling tail wind.

I usually back off after about 45 mph these days though..... more often to do with side roads than 'bottle' - you can't do the high speeds where there are any side roads - too easy for a motorist to pull out.

Odyssey

From the article linked on the other page

[url]http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/blog/cycling/speeding-ticket-68mph/ said:
I[/url] remember once Lance Armstrong saying he did 70mph on a descent in the Pyrenees.

I sometimes get scared at those speeds in the car!

Pottsy

hackbike 6 said:
Wow.i reckon i could have got 60 if i had the bottle to do it ten years ago.

That's were I did my 54.5mph. It was over 10 years ago and I had much more bottle. Now-a-days 40-45mph is a good effort.

Does anyone else just have these images of the mess and pain in their head if they fell off when they get over 35mph?

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Forgive my previous and rather glib post.

In actuality I have reached 50mph+ down Blackheath Hill on a summer day on my old road bike. This is true.

And better still the bike may even have had mudguards!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
49.6 mph on the hill from Cap Gris Nez down into Calais. It's a long, straight hill with no side roads, and you can see for miles. And we had the mother of all tailwinds.:ohmy:
We intended to get the train back towards Boulogne, but SNCF were on strike. Don't think we made it above 8 mph on the return trip, due to the mother of all headwinds.xx(

Hairy Jock said:
Wow were all the lights on green? I avoid Dundas Street because there are just too many traffic lights. I did 35mph on Broughton St recently on one of those rare occasions when there was any traffic to get in the way...
They must of been, I usually only max at 28-29.5. I've never had Broughton St clear (downhill anyway :biggrin:). I'm a bit wary of all the side roads and idiots pulling out from the left at the roundabout at the bottom anyway so I don't think I've been faster than 30.
I think I prefer the predictability of traffic at lights; if the minor road has a red light and the main is on green they can't pull out.

Top Bottom