Whats the fastest you've been on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jaded

Young Un said:
if u were to go past a speed camera doin more than the speed limit can you be done, and how.

Since they would have no idea who you were and therefore your could not be done.

You also cannot be done for speeding because there is no offence of speeding on a cycle.

Jaded

48.2mph on my favourite hill.

Hoping to do 50mph one day.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
007.jpg

Just outside Riyadh, Saudi Arabia on the Taif-Riyadh Highway is a series of three escarpments. Terminal speed on the third escarpment was 105kph (65.24mph). A never-to-be repeated feat; well not by me, once was enough!

bonj2

Jaded said:
Since they would have no idea who you were and therefore your could not be done.

You also cannot be done for speeding because there is no offence of speeding on a cycle.

I'm interested, is there any official source of information backing this up? I'm not saying for one minute I don't believe it, I personally do, but I bet most car drivers, possibly even police, don't - so I would be interested to see proof of it for sure. Or is it just the absence of anything saying that speed limits DO apply to non-motorised vehicles?

bonj2

Molecule Man said:
66.6 kph (~42 mph) between Troutbeck and Nyanga in Zimbabwe.

A bit scary in retrospect, since it was getting late, and the road was so quiet that I might not have been discovered until next morning if I had had an accident.

Possibly faster on the tandem when my girlfriend was driving, but we didn't have a computer.

going at speed on a bike's the least of your worries! You could have been kidnapped by robert mugabe and imprisoned and not allowed to leave the country!

Interesting that you've been to zimbabwe though, was it nice?

Jaded

bonj said:
I'm interested, is there any official source of information backing this up? I'm not saying for one minute I don't believe it, I personally do, but I bet most car drivers, possibly even police, don't - so I would be interested to see proof of it for sure. Or is it just the absence of anything saying that speed limits DO apply to non-motorised vehicles?

Which bit are you unclear on - that a speed camera would not identify you or that you cannot be done for speeding on a bike?

OP
OP
andyfromotley

andyfromotley

bonj said:
I'm interested, is there any official source of information backing this up? I'm not saying for one minute I don't believe it, I personally do, but I bet most car drivers, possibly even police, don't - so I would be interested to see proof of it for sure. Or is it just the absence of anything saying that speed limits DO apply to non-motorised vehicles?[/quote]

Thats it bonj, the way the judicial system in this country works you are allowed to do anything unless a law has been passed forbidding or regulating that activity.

Some countries (i beleive) have a system where you can only do what the law permits.

Some countries you cant do anything, but that a different topic altogether.

So to sum up, you are allowed to go as fast as you want on a bike because the goverment has not chosen to regulate it.

Hope this makes sense.

Andy

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
The riders descending the Alpes would regularly reach speeds of over 60 mph. You have to be careful that you don't fly over the edge of the road as one or two riders have done.

bonj2

Jaded said:
Which bit are you unclear on - that a speed camera would not identify you or that you cannot be done for speeding on a bike?

That it's NOT against the law. In other words I think a lot of people think that what 'the speed limit' means is that it's illegal for ANY vehicle to exceed it, rather than that it's illegal for motor vehicles to. Where does it actually SAY that the speed limit applies only to MOTOR vehicles?

I know from a technical point of view that it would be possible for a cyclist to set a speed camera off, but it (probably) wouldn't be then possible to identify them from the photo as they don't have a reg.

Ludwig said:
The riders descending the Alpes would regularly reach speeds of over 60 mph. You have to be careful that you don't fly over the edge of the road as one or two riders have done.

I know, there was a story in the latest C+ about a fella who did that and was hauled back up by a string of inner tubes, a tall story which i'm sceptical of tbh, but a good one anyway.

I did 55mph on Thursday on Chatham hill in the bus lane (30 limit) on a Catrike Expedition, have a few customers who have topped the 60 mark. Best on the flat is 45 mph but it's a hard slog even on a recumbent, I can get up to 35 for short periods but more than that on the flat is a major effort, 25 for about an hour is good going or I can do 20 for two hours, longer runs see closer to 17-18mph average, allowing for slow climbs and 50+ mph descents.

Top Bottom