What's the greatest distance you have cycled in 1 day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Chester-Leek-Nottingham decades ago (1983) which I always thought had been into three figures miles wise but plotted it the other week in Strava and it came out at 96:sad:
Most this year so far has been 67.8 miles,(109.1 km).

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
A lot of us who have been banging out mega mileages have been in the same position as yourself. So keep it up, keep it fun, keep cycling and your distances and stamina will increase.

And only do the long distances if you want to, your perfect ride is as long as you want it to be.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Wow you guys, such huge mileages, makes my 16 miles the other day seem very weedy, still only been on my bike for a few weeks, and I'm about 4 stone over weight on a 20+ year old mountain bike!
But I'm enjoying it.
^^^ This is the important bit. Keep the enjoyable rides coming.:thumbsup:

On my first "big" ride my previous best had been about 18 miles and I set myself the goal of riding the distance of a marathon. It was hard going and I was sore sitting down afterwards :blink: but I felt so pleased with myself. Today I have four years of Imperial Century Challenges under my belt.:ohmy:

Build up to it and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve.^_^

Last edited:

Solocle

Über Member
^^^ This is the important bit. Keep the enjoyable rides coming.:thumbsup:

On my first "big" ride my previous best had been about 18 miles and I set myself the goal of riding the distance of a marathon. It was hard going and I was sore sitting down afterwards :blink: but I felt so pleased with myself. Today I have four years of Imperial Century Challenges under my belt.:ohmy:

Build up to it and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve.^_^
Yep, similarly, I set a marathon as my first "long distance" in 2014 - it took me over 2 hours, too...
I only surpassed it in 2018, when I started cycling "properly" again at uni. Went from 20 miles to 40 miles (up the A44 to Chipping Norton and back).
Then it was 50, which was the same Chippy run, plus spanning Oxford from ring road to ring road.
Then 60, stopping for lunch at Nando's Swindon.
And that increase was in the space of about 1 month...

Getting to a century took about 6 months, although no doubt I could have done it earlier. I actually only ever have done 6 centuries, 2 being >300km, 2 being >200km.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I did a century once (a proper one, not one of those girly km ones:tongue:)
I was in my 20's and had a nice, lightweight racing bike. With Bolton Clarion.

Returned to cycling in Jan 2012, quit smoking and on July 22 2012 again with the bike club I managed 80.68 miles to Southport and didn't even get an ice cream despite lovely weather 😠 ^_^
It'd be nice to try that again...someday.

Top Bottom