What's the greatest distance you have cycled in 1 day?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
201 miles, plus any riding to/from the station. Moonrakers & Sunseekers Audax last November. 21h 30m
I also did 193 miles in December, which only took 18.5 hours, Bristol to Cambridge, the idea was to do the 500 km return, but I had to bail at the Northamptonshire border.

There's also the one I did on the trainer on Sunday... 140 miles. Oh, and 30,000 ft of climbing!
View attachment 541228
View attachment 541229
(Ignore the HR data, it glitched out on the 1st climb). On the plus side, I did pick up the lightweight wheels at the end of climb 5!

Strava Activity
am impressed.
but horrified at the 140 miles on the trainer.
sounds like hell on earth.

vickster

Legendary Member
am impressed.
Especially as you’ve not actually done any miles only virtual ones :whistle:

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
130 miles this year, 5 loops of 25ish, with a couple of minor adjustments to take photos / vary the route as a lockdown challenge thing to myself

GetFatty

Über Member
am impressed.
I almost bought a trainer earlier this year but cancelled it as I just felt I should get outside. Was doing quite well until the last two weeks of ear trouble.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Some inspiring & great stories here. :smile:

I've regularly done rides of around or slightly over 100 miles (all hilly). After that, something seems to switch off - lack of fitness or loss of interest - who knows?

Some of them are definitely more memorable than others - the scenery or history.

I reckon I could do a lot more if the route was flat and there was a larger group (taking a break from a headwind is definitely ok), but I know I wouldn't enjoy it. What would be the point then?

Solo, or with one or two friends, and preferably on breathtaking routes that include markers showing altitude, average gradient for next km, and distance to summit. 😊

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
84 miles in something like 5.5 hours some years ago when 50 miles were normal and regular rides.
Nowt like that nowadays, purely a bimbler now as and when I fancy.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I would like to at least one dawn to dusk ride on the summer solstice and see how far I could go on an 'interesting route'. I wouldn't be thinking in terms of the maximum possible distance, but rather could I do (say) 300 hilly kms in the available 17-18 hours of daylight. I have done 200 very hilly kms in 10 hours in the past, but I am much older and slower now and have never ridden that far, even without hills. I suspect that it would be beyond me, but it would be interesting to try!

PS If I got to 300 kms, unless I was absolutely wiped out I'd probably try to extend it to a double imperial century by adding an extra 22 kms. I doubt that I would ever ride that far again so it could be a once in a lifetime effort.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow you guys, such huge mileages, makes my 16 miles the other day seem very weedy, still only been on my bike for a few weeks, and I'm about 4 stone over weight on a 20+ year old mountain bike!
But I'm enjoying it.
A lot of us who have been banging out mega mileages have been in the same position as yourself. So keep it up, keep it fun, keep cycling and your distances and stamina will increase.

tyred

Legendary Member
Wow you guys, such huge mileages, makes my 16 miles the other day seem very weedy, still only been on my bike for a few weeks, and I'm about 4 stone over weight on a 20+ year old mountain bike!
But I'm enjoying it.
The important thing is that you are having fun. If you keep it up your fitness, stamina and ability to ride long distances will come if that's what you want. As long as your bike fits you and is well maintained it is fine unless you want to chase marginal performance gains.

I was once 6 stone heavier than I am now and smoked 30 strong rollies a day.

Top Bottom