What's the most disgusting thing you've eaten?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I enjoy catching up with this thread.
We didn't actually eat this but we were in a pub type restaurant in Stasbourg. I was enjoying my Escargot and a guy got a plate of mash, sauerkraut and a BIG pigs foot. The fat must have been half an inch thick. It was all covered in hairs. He ate the lot!!!
We still talk about it and MrsD gaggs every time we do.

Last edited:
I enjoy catching up with this thread.
We didn't actually eat this but we were in a pub type restaurant in Stasbourg. I was enjoying my Escorgot and a guy got a plate of mash, sauerkraut and a BIG pigs foot. The fat must have been half an inch thick. It was all covered in hairs. He ate the lot!!!
We still talk about it and MrsD gaggs every time we do.

My Romanian friend remembers the days when pig's feet were called "Patriots" in his home country because they were the only part of the pig not exported by Ceaușescu's government.

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Middle class whinge coming up:

Lunch at the National Trust's Anglesea Abbey restaurant a couple of years ago. It was the first time I'd seen shepherds pie poured onto a plate and settling out as a pool, level with the plate rim. A group of French tourists were at a table next to us and sending photos of their equally awful food to friends in France as examples of British cooking. It was very embarrassing to be British as the site is near Cambridge and had a lot of foreign tourists visiting it. They all seemed to be treating their food with (justified) suspicion.

National Trust catering has become dire in the last few years. They've got shot of their local caterers and replaced them with lowest common denominator contract ones. We had a similar experience at Blickling, where the food had been hot-held for so long that it had jellified into a homogenous lump on a plate. At least it explained why a restaurant there that used to be packed had just two people when we walked in at peak time. There was also a cafe for walkers there that was largely bereft of food items, which the person on the till said was normal. I wrote to the NT and got back a standard letter and a cream tea voucher, which just added insult to injury, so we flounced out and are no longer members.

Last edited:
Pigs trotters aren't so bad - they do make a really good brawn, but it's a PITA to pick all the bones out.

Mind, Polish cookery has a few clunkers, especially if you've not grown up eating them... Two things I find really *bleurgh* are in fact two soups, one made from pickled (salted) cucumber and the other from fermented rye flour. The latter is particularly ghastly, no matter how much you jazz it up with smoked sausage.

Actually, chuck the soup out of the window and just give me the sausage... Putting good kiełbasa in żur is just a waste of kiełbasa...

Pigs trotters aren't so bad - they do make a really good brawn, but it's a PITA to pick all the bones out.

Mind, Polish cookery has a few clunkers, especially if you've not grown up eating them... Two things I find really *bleurgh* are in fact two soups, one made from pickled (salted) cucumber and the other from fermented rye flour. The latter is particularly ghastly, no matter how much you jazz it up with smoked sausage.

Actually, chuck the soup out of the window and just give me the sausage... Putting good kiełbasa in żur is just a waste of kiełbasa...
yes I'm no fan of polish cooking. Years ago went to that famous polish place in south kensington. Not keen. And truly one of the worst things I have ever eaten in my life was in the bus station at Krakow in the communist years. I'm still not sure what it was so can't enlighten/forewarn you delicate readers.

I think Hungary has a very similar dish. I had some a few months ago and survived.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Actually, chuck the soup out of the window and just give me the sausage
While backpacking in NZ I spent some time with a bloke who trapped possums for their hides. Another kiwi, discovering that we were eating the rest, said he had a really good recipe for possum: get a big billy can, put in a layer of stones, add water, bring to the boil, simmer for two or three hours, topping up the water as necessary, chuck the possum and eat the stones.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Fried mackerel I find inedible. Cooked any other way they are very tasty.
In a cafe in Helensburgh I ordered freshly baked Danish pastries . When I pointed out that they were indeed freshly baked about 4 days ago they had the good sense not to try charging for them.
Homemade soup in a cafe in Oban similarly they had not even bothered dissolving the powder. No charge and the coffee was horrible as well. Thought at first they had given me badly made tea.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm pretty hardy with flavours. Anything slimy or soft and slippery textured makes me retch though, so it's more "texture" that kills it for me rather than flavour.... Oysters, even over ripe bananas... Smoked salmon or any raw fish makes me gag. In terms of just flavour, I think cod liver oil is possibly the nastiest thing I ever tasted.

My wife agrees with the view of raw sea urchin mentioned by Grant Fondo. She really hated that and it's her number one dislike.

Top Bottom