What's the most disgusting thing you've eaten?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Middle class whinge coming up:

Lunch at the National Trust's Anglesea Abbey restaurant a couple of years ago. It was the first time I'd seen shepherds pie poured onto a plate and settling out as a pool, level with the plate rim. A group of French tourists were at a table next to us and sending photos of their equally awful food to friends in France as examples of British cooking. It was very embarrassing to be British as the site is near Cambridge and had a lot of foreign tourists visiting it. They all seemed to be treating their food with (justified) suspicion.

National Trust catering has become dire in the last few years. They've got shot of their local caterers and replaced them with lowest common denominator contract ones. We had a similar experience at Blickling, where the food had been hot-held for so long that it had jellified into a homogenous lump on a plate. At least it explained why a restaurant there that used to be packed had just two people when we walked in at peak time. There was also a cafe for walkers there that was largely bereft of food items, which the person on the till said was normal. I wrote to the NT and got back a standard letter and a cream tea voucher, which just added insult to injury, so we flounced out and are no longer members.
You "flounced out".
Are mere mortals allowed to "flounce".
I thought only people called Drago could flounce.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I did the "half a grub" in your apple once.
Had chewed and swallowed the first bite then looked down to see the other half still wriggling.
We have numerous plum and apple trees (an orchard, even?) A very common occurrence when trying the ripening fruit - the ones with bugs invariably ripen first!

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
I used to like tinned haggis when I was a child so I bought a can from my local Asda yesterday. It smelt like excrement when I was heating it up. I didn't dare eat it so my neighbour's cat got it.

byegad

Legendary Member
School meals Fish. Grey, smelly, disgusting and contributing 99.9% of the amount served to pigswill.

I had a conversation with the County Nutritionist, responsible for the school meals menu.
Her line was that fish was a vital part of nutrition for a healthy life. Mine was that the nutritional value of uneaten fish was zero.

Top Bottom