What's the most disgusting thing you've eaten?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, but did she actually claim the grey stuff served was fish?

It had, at some time in the dim and distant past been pulled out of the North Sea alive and flapping. Presumably the supplier used the school meal contract to off load all the 'nearly* off' and inedible species on the school meal contract.

* This is a movable definition, a purchasing consumer would undoubtedly have called Environmental Health who would duly arrive, and, in protective Bio-Hazard Suits place the offending 'fish' into sealed containers to be shipped off to Sellafield to be safely stored in a tank until it could be buried for several thousand years.

Haggis - not fit even for dogs.
I adore Haggis, even had Haggis Pakora a couple of years ago in Inverness
0498EC1A-2D19-4745-9C15-C850EF640ABE.jpeg

2DE07D9C-BF71-4549-A93E-EBB34B664257.jpeg

Tripe
I’ve tried it, but no thankyou!!

This may be heresy, but l wouldn’t thank anyone for Yorkshire Pudding

It had, at some time in the dim and distant past been pulled out of the North Sea alive and flapping. Presumably the supplier used the school meal contract to off load all the 'nearly* off' and inedible species on the school meal contract.

* This is a movable definition, a purchasing consumer would undoubtedly have called Environmental Health who would duly arrive, and, in protective Bio-Hazard Suits place the offending 'fish' into sealed containers to be shipped off to Sellafield to be safely stored in a tank until it could be buried for several thousand years.

On this subject, Beautiful Wife can remember being given "political" whale meat in school in Japan during the 80's because no-one else would buy the stuff. It was costing the Japanese government a fortune to catch them so they had to use the carcases somehow.

Or maybe that was the "research" they claim they're doing; a sort of social experiment...

Last edited:
Mods are entitled to an opinion too, and if you think that is insulting a nation you need to grow a thicker skin:wacko:

Really?!

presta

Guru
I recall mum stinking the house out cooking tripe for the dog when I was a kid, but she never cooked any for us. I once avoided scorpion because I was hungry and didn't want to end up with something I couldn't eat, but I wish I'd tried it now, I did try swordfish though, which was very good. I wish I'd reied the kangaroo steaks when I saw them in Tesco, but they were #@!* expensive!

Ashens channel on YouTube posts some quite entertaining ones:
Tinned chicken
Tinned cheeseburger

Last time I was at Oxford Hostel a Chinese family who were on their way home gave me a load of their unwanted snacks. They were in packets like salted peanuts etc, and very tasty, but as I don't read Chinese I've no idea what they were. They could have been deep fried locusts or something for all I know.

Stuff I don't like:
Marzipan (but almonds are ok)
Beetroot
Celery
Cake (but chocolate cake's ok)
Cocoa
Cooked coconut (but raw is ok, and so are Bounty bars)
Jammy dodgers
Fig rolls
Jaffa cakes

Which reminds me, I once poked a hole in a coconut, drained the milk out, drank it, then broke the coconut open.
My advice would be open the cocnut first, as this one was rotten inside, and completely black instead of white.

This cocnut was interesting, the shell came off in three pieces, leaving the flesh inside in one unbroken piece, just like taking the shell off a hard boiled egg:
1672158800840.jpeg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Dogfish of any kind. Sometimes caught them in creels or when line fishing and thought we should at least try them. Tried twice just to be sure but never again.
They used to be sold in English chip shops under a fancy name. I think it was Rock Cod.
Whelks are also on the no list along with conger tho’ I did keep the occasional one for an old guy who lived nearby.
His nickname was MacGochan but no idea why and there is now a local pub named after him.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
They used to be sold in English chip shops under a fancy name. I think it was Rock Cod.
It was Rock Salmon in my part of England , later Shortened to Rock . Haven’t seen it sold for a long time .
I was OK with the flavour and no bones to pick out was a bonus .

Last edited:
Top Bottom