What's the oldest bike you own?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We have a 1978 Sun Solo 10 speed, which until about 6 weeks ago, was ridden daily. OH got his new (second hand) carerra vanquish with upgrades so the Sun is languishing restfully in our garage.

tyred

Legendary Member
I will need to know its age and model before I can even think about restoring it, because, what I haven't told you all is that it's previous two owners (at least) were not very kind to it, with the first of the two covering it in black paint and the second guy I bought it from getting it all removed in a failed attempt to restore it himself.

The wheels also rusted away after it was left sitting in water (although the hubs are still with it), so I need to find a pair of period wheels which will fit the hubs, and also, because it doesn't have it's original paintwork, I have decided that I might as well get it all restored fully to original, as new condition (there is nothing original left too lose which isn't already lost).

The forks and handlebars appear to be nickel plated too, so a nice finish could be achieved with them also!

Nickel plating suggests pre 1930s.

Is this a roadster or a lightweight? Rims in 32/40 hole drilling can be tricky to get hold of.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Well, the date is 19... I'd rather not say, but it is comfortably in the pre 1930 date frame indicated by the the nickel plate thing by at least 10 years.

I have no idea if it is a lightweight or roadster on account of me not knowing quite what it is!

Ronners

Saw this thread and had to join. My bike is a 1986 'Harry Middleton' of Ormskirk race frame in 531, with one piece forks, shot in stays, cut out lugs and Cinelli finishing kit and Concor San Marco Supercorsa suede saddle. .....built for me as a sixteen year-old and left unloved for many years before being serviced this year....new brake levers, tyres and good to go!

raindog

er.....
Ronners - sorry, but we need a photo ^_^

and welcome to the bored!

Top Bottom