What's the oldest bike you own?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
We are not worthy.
Well its nice, but not that worthy! :laugh:

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Douglas
What about some pictures.

I haven't received it yet. Oh, you mean the Pug?

Do you still want the freebie?

I would actually, I'll Pm you.

Mine is an mid 30's Sun or my Joe Cooke

Yes I remember you saying you had a bike/bikes from the '30s when I was talking about trying to keep the Pug good, and actually, it sort of inspired this thread because it got me wondering what other people had.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
By the way, I have just joined the VCC, and looking through their newsletter earlier, I noticed that they list some of their members/people on club runs riding bikes which are practically brand new!!

Either they aren't members as such but came along for the ride, or the VCC have the attitude that everything will eventually become vintage, so you might as well start looking after it now!

Both my bikes are only a year or so old so not old at all. I'm currently bidding on a raleigh on ebay which is advertised circa 1940's/50's. If I win it I'm planning to have it as a winter restoration project. not that I've ever restored a bike before so it'll be a learning curve :smile:

stevevw

Guru
By the way, I have just joined the VCC, and looking through their newsletter earlier, I noticed that they list some of their members/people on club runs riding bikes which are practically brand new!!

Either they aren't members as such but came along for the ride, or the VCC have the attitude that everything will eventually become vintage, so you might as well start looking after it now!

My local group are very tollerate on age of bike and rider. The rides are often short and very slow with 2-3 or more stops. I must say that I have enjoyed all the rides I have been on, you just have to change your mindset and enjoy the bikes, people, countryside and beer. Then you take the long way home flat out to try and work off the food and beer.

Alan B

1947 3 speed Sunbeam inherited from my dad. He bought it for £16 new, which I guess was quite expensive at the time. It's in great mechanical condition, and I will be fully restoring as I gather some parts I need.

I've ridden it around my 10 mile circuit averaging 12mph, versus 15mph on a mountain bike, and 17mph for road bike.

asterix

Comrade Member
Compared to most responses my oldest bike is relatively new. Bought it off ebay for £50 and the components had date codes for 1987. It is a British/Coventry Eagle Touristique made by Barry Hoban's co-operative in Wales somewhere. Tubing is 531st and it is a well-built frame that fits me perfectly.

'Unfortunately' I have totally vandalised it by ditching the worn out components and replacing them with new. I did use it for a couple of years as was, but when things stopped working properly decided enough was enough. The new rear wheel is Rigida on a 105 hub, the front is Rigida on Schimdt dyanhub with IQ Cyo light. It has a sealed BB with a Stronglight double and TA rings with a wide nine speed cassette. The shifters are bar ends on the orginal, very nice, narrow CB bars and I have a Brooks b17 Ti saddle to sit on with a Carradice Nelson saddle bag to hold stuff. The frame was checked and re-enamelled by Ellis Briggs. I managed to get 531st transfers off ebay, but other decals it has none.

I am really looking forward to getting out on it now I am back in York. Just waiting for less water; is that asking too much?!

Teuchter

Über Member
'Unfortunately' I have totally vandalised it by ditching the worn out components and replacing them with new.
Nothing wrong with that. I'm quite a fan of keeping older bikes in a nice state that means you actually want to ride them by modernising here and there. It's all very well having old, authentic museum pieces but all of my bikes are meant to be ridden.

stevevw

Guru
'Unfortunately' I have totally vandalised it by ditching the worn out components and replacing them with new.quote]

That is what has always happened. I remember my Dad telling me about his first real race bike a George Brooks from the early fifties and the upgrades he did as and when he could afford or new parts came out or worn parts needed replacing right up until he stupidly sold it in the 60's to buy our first car. I have been keeping an eye out for George Brooks to recreate his bike but have only ever seen one for sale and that was even too far gone for me and I have had some bad cases to rebuild in the past.

asterix

Comrade Member
Agreed. Just to kick off, here's the B/Eagle after purchase from ebay and a few day's work:
93-Beagle.jpg

..and again after it's 2nd overhaul:

SDC10892.jpg

The chainset was replaced later mainly because I couldn't get replacements rings for that BCD any longer.

Top Bottom