What's the point? Anybody?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I had no idea the woman on the Brommie had squeezed through by the pavement (no idea how she did it, more to the point!) and was quite taken aback when I saw her to my left!

Isn't there a bike lane on the left at that junction?

I vaguely remember it that way (never used it, as it's usually full of people parked up for (I assume) the aquatics centre- if it's the one I'm thinking of. Going up the left of a Magic Bus probably as bad (if not worse) an idea than filtering between one of them and a Finglands bus, mind... :laugh:

A beautifully 'pitched' video Sh4rky - the music was apt , and I look forward to the next episode. No arguing - just observation! :laugh:

Answers on a postage stamp more like.

I get that a lot on my commute...probably same as everyone else and it's so frustrating....Half the time these people are so slow...Would be glad to just seem them disappear to be honest.

Sh4arky what did you edit that with?

cheers.

redjedi

Über Member
:blush:

I love it when I get to catch and pass impatient cyclists, showing that they didn't save any time by RLJ or squeezing to the front at lights.

But you did let the side down with the heavy breathing after getting past the buses with My Pavement next to you. Show no weakness! :smile:

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
John the Monkey said:
Isn't there a bike lane on the left at that junction?
I don't think so. It's a Bus Lane down past the Museum, then just finishes just prior (about 20m?) to the junction. I think there's a cycle lane going past the Aquatics Centre though, on the other side of that junction. Don't cycle that far down Oxford Road though.

hackbike 666 said:
Sh4arky what did you edit that with?
MovieMaker, only software I have that I could be ar$ed to learn how to use for editing! :laugh:

redjedi said:
:thumbsup:

I love it when I get to catch and pass impatient cyclists, showing that they didn't save any time by RLJ or squeezing to the front at lights.

But you did let the side down with the heavy breathing after getting past the buses with My Pavement next to you. Show no weakness! :blush:
I noticed that myself.. shameful! I shall not let it happen again. :smile::biggrin:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
New riders often ride this way, due to fitness and inexperience. Most RLJ's I see are "new" looking and are caught up with very quickley.

Hopefully your (and others videos) will help to illustrate how dangerous and daft some riders actions can be.

jimboalee

jonny jeez said:
New riders often ride this way, due to fitness and inexperience. Most RLJ's I see are "new" looking and are caught up with very quickley.

Hopefully your (and others videos) will help to illustrate how dangerous and daft some riders actions can be.

Magnatom posted a vid earlier in the week about an Audi driver.

In that vid, he "Filtered" between two rows of slow/stationary traffic.

Is it called 'filtering' or 'squeezing through where motorists don't expect a cyclist to appear from'?

Someone, a few months back posted a thread which campaigned for "3feet2pass".

Is this for ALL road users? or just cars passing cyclists?

There wasn't three feet between the bus and the cars, let alone the bus and the passing cyclist. THE BUS WAS INDICATING RIGHT AND STARTED TO MOVE and Sharkybloke continued to ride past, endangering himself.

When this is the cyclist's normal riding habit, what right do they then have to complain about 'close passes' by motorists 'squeezing through where cyclists don't expect a motorist to appear from"?

redjedi

Über Member
jimboalee said:
There wasn't three feet between the bus and the cars, let alone the bus and the passing cyclist. THE BUS WAS INDICATING RIGHT AND STARTED TO MOVE and Sharkybloke continued to ride past, endangering himself.

Did you watch the same video as the rest of us ;)

It's two buses, neither of which is indicating, neither of which start to move.

It's not a gap I would go down, but as Sharky got to the front the lights had only just changed for the cars coming from the left/right, so he had plenty of time.

I also think that a 3 foot gap is more applicable if you're passing a more vulnerable road user. I don't think a cyclists poses too much threat to a stationary bus.

jimboalee said:
Magnatom posted a vid earlier in the week about an Audi driver.

In that vid, he "Filtered" between two rows of slow/stationary traffic.

Is it called 'filtering' or 'squeezing through where motorists don't expect a cyclist to appear from'?

Someone, a few months back posted a thread which campaigned for "3feet2pass".

Is this for ALL road users? or just cars passing cyclists?

When this is the cyclist's normal riding habit, what right do they then have to complain about 'close passes' by motorists 'squeezing through where cyclists don't expect a motorist to appear from"?

Yes it is called filtering and perfectly legal, and more importantly if done correctly very safe.

The 3 foot argument is a red hearing. Think about it.

A) Car passes cyclist with a 1ft gap. Cyclist is going 15mph, car 30mph.

;) Cyclist filters past traffic, possibly crawling at 3-5mph, cyclist is doing 10mph (max).

Which is the more dangerous? How much risk is there to the cyclist in A? Compare this to how much risk there is to the driver in B!

jimboalee

redjedi said:
Did you watch the same video as the rest of us ;)

It's two buses, neither of which is indicating, neither of which start to move.

It's not a gap I would go down, but as Sharky got to the front the lights had only just changed for the cars coming from the left/right, so he had plenty of time.

I also think that a 3 foot gap is more applicable if you're passing a more vulnerable road user. I don't think a cyclists poses too much threat to a stationary bus.

Yes.

The moving bus is 9 seconds into the vid.

GrasB

Veteran
Yeah he was, it happens around the 10s mark, not the wises manoeuvre & I wouldn't do it my self, but the bus didn't have anywhere to go besides through the car.

jimboalee

magnatom said:
Yes it is called filtering and perfectly legal, and more importantly if done correctly very safe.

The 3 foot argument is a red hearing. Think about it.

A) Car passes cyclist with a 1ft gap. Cyclist is going 15mph, car 30mph.

;) Cyclist filters past traffic, possibly crawling at 3-5mph, cyclist is doing 10mph (max).

Which is the more dangerous? How much risk is there to the cyclist in A? Compare this to how much risk there is to the driver in B!

Did you hear the one about the car passenger who threw her door out just as a cyclist was "Filtering" down the inside?

When my friend had picked himself off the pavement, he wiped the blood off his knee and smeared it down the front of the woman's dress.

There is NOTHING 'very safe' on the public roads.

snorri

Legendary Member
Browser said:
They have to ride like that 'cos they're so bloody slow, they'd never get anywhere otherwise! :smile:

Nonsense, they were making steady progress, never losing momentum, not sprinting away from the lights, using their energy efficiently.;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Jimboalee makes a fair point. There is a fine line from when "filtering" turns into "squeezing through"

I would ride similar to that at times however there is no way I would have gone between the 2 buses at the end of the video in case I had made a miscalculation on the phase of the lights.

Top Bottom