What's the point? Anybody?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
jimboalee said:
Did you hear the one about the car passenger who threw her door out just as a cyclist was "Filtering" down the inside?

When my friend had picked himself off the pavement, he wiped the blood off his knee and smeared it down the front of the woman's dress.

There is NOTHING 'very safe' on the public roads.

Yes, like this? Being on the road is a risk. All we can do is minimise the risks whilst maintaining good progress. Filtering through two lanes of traffic does have risk, but if cycling correctly the risk is minimal. I've seen people open doors in many unusual situation, but not in slow moving two lane traffic....

jimboalee

Strangely, if a cyclist is not astride the bike, he is not 'cycling'. Scooting a bicycle down the pavement is merely the same as riding a scooter.

In these circumstances of course, the pedestrian has the right of way at all times; and if the ped' complains, the cycle scooter hops off and walks. No offence committed.

This 'loophole' can be utilized by unclipping a shoe and changing to a scooting position as the cyclist rolls up onto the pavement via a wheelchair access ramp or suchlike.

When the roadway is busy and traffic has stopped, 'steady progress' can be made by using this tactic.

This can also be done in 'pedestrian only' shopping precincts, as West Midlands Police cyclists in central Birmingham have demonstrated.

jimboalee

magnatom said:
Yes, like this? Being on the road is a risk. All we can do is minimise the risks whilst maintaining good progress. Filtering through two lanes of traffic does have risk, but if cycling correctly the risk is minimal. I've seen people open doors in many unusual situation, but not in slow moving two lane traffic....

Not much chance of scooting through those bushes....:smile:

TBH, if we considered every hazard, we wouldn't ride bikes on the road.;)

I was astonished to see Sharkybloke ride up past a bus which was indicating and had nudged to its right.

Origamist

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Strangely, if a cyclist is not astride the bike, he is not 'cycling'. Scooting a bicycle down the pavement is merely the same as riding a scooter.

In these circumstances of course, the pedestrian has the right of way at all times; and if the ped' complains, the cycle scooter hops off and walks. No offence committed.

I'm pretty sure "scooting" is considered "riding" a bike. If you got off and pushed the bike you are then a foot passenger.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Origamist said:
I'm pretty sure "scooting" is legally classified as riding a bike. If you got off and pushed the bike you are then a foot passenger.
I hate to contradict Mr Alee, but that's my recollection of things too - I'm fairly sure I've read about people getting the "cycling on a footway" FPN whilst scooting.

jimboalee said:
Not much chance of scooting through those bushes....:smile:

TBH, if we considered every hazard, we wouldn't ride bikes on the road.;)

I was astonished to see Sharkybloke ride up past a bus which was indicating and had nudged to its right.

Oh I agree, I wouldn't go past the buses. Increased risk, for absolutely no gain, IMO. But filtering, generally is very low risk, if done correctly.....I should add, I don't claim to do it correctly all the time! :biggrin:

jimboalee

John the Monkey said:
I hate to contradict Mr Alee, but that's my recollection of things too - I'm fairly sure I've read about people getting the "cycling on a footway" FPN whilst scooting.

Then surely the two coppers should have issued each other a FPN on New Street in Birmingham ;)

Ah, but the police are exempt,, aren't they?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
jimboalee said:
Then surely the two coppers should have issued each other a FPN on New Street in Birmingham ;)

Ah, but the police are exempt,, aren't they?
In this very parish, there have been reports of them and their PSCO colleagues riding on pavements, and demonstrating poor roadcraft on occasion, to the lamentation and protest of those present.

ha ha you made me laugh there!
That's my normal commute although I think you did it later in the day than I usually do.
(had to check that the Brommie wasn't me, it wasn't!)

JTM - there is no bike lane at either of the two junctions (think you were meaning the second one where Sharky went between the busses). The bus lane vanishes and you're stuck with two lanes of traffic.

Sharky - for future reference those lights give oncoming traffic a 'turn right' across your path first from where you are (it's not too long mind!). However, any pedestrians seem to get a green between your road's traffic and the road you wanted to be on - so road 1, ped, road 2, ped - if the button has been pressed at any rate.

As for the first RLJ - that's par for the course there. On my pedal home I am usually the *only* cyclist to stop there. It's a useless junction at the best of times, so I do understand the motivation though...

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
jimboalee said:
There wasn't three feet between the bus and the cars, let alone the bus and the passing cyclist. THE BUS WAS INDICATING RIGHT AND STARTED TO MOVE and Sharkybloke continued to ride past, endangering himself.
I know what you're talking about, near the start of the vid... but I was visible to the Bus Driver (had he actually checked) before he started indicating... and where is he going to go, there's a car right beside him?!? Assuming he continued out though, and into the side of the car, I was going slowly enough to be able to stop with no problem.

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
SavageHoutkop said:
Sharky - for future reference those lights give oncoming traffic a 'turn right' across your path first from where you are (it's not too long mind!).
I know, cheers, that's what I was checking for - to see whether traffic was approaching or crossing (it was doing neither so must have been on the Ped phase) and thus signalling that there was time to get to the ASL.

Top Bottom