1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the point of bike reflectors?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Randombiker9, 14 Nov 2017.

1. Randombiker9

Randombiker9 Active Member

So me and one of my friends who also cycles to college. We were taking about how my friend had reflectors on the bike. But he doesn't see the point of them as they never work. (i've never bothered to put reflectors on my bike) even though we do have them but like above they don't work either. I just have a white front light and red rear light. (i do have amber pedal reflectors but like above i don't see the point)
    So what is the point of reflectors?

2. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Is this a trick question?

• Like Like x 9
  3. Slick

Slick Über Member

They're a legal must on pedals apparently, but even cars have reflectors. Just another tool in the box I reckon, especially side on.

4. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

Have you ever driven (or ridden) in the dark behind a cyclist with pedal reflectors?

• Like Like x 2
  5. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Front reflectors are for training as they add increased wind resistance, take them off and you will really fly, Obree did it before eating Marmalade sandwiches.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Er....

7. Yes you are correct. They often dont work. But you need to keep the power supply topped up and make sure you know where the on - off buttons are. You and your friend need to go over each others bikes and make sure the reflectors operate correctly.

• Like Like x 6
  8. winjim

winjim A youth of interminable age

Oooh, I love reflectors, me. When I'm in charge I shall remove the requirement for bikes to have lights, we'll all just have lovely lovely reflectors and the roads will be a much nicer place for it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

the modern ones are controlled by an app

• Like Like x 1
  10. Banjo

Banjo Fuelled with Jelly Babies

You dont see reflectors working from on the bike you only see the reflected light coming back at you.

Try parking your bike somewhere dark and shine a torch at it from different angles.

• Like Like x 4
  11. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Spoil sport.

• Like Like x 6
  12. Ian H

Ian H Guru

Pedal reflectors are excellent. I only wish there was a reliable way of attaching them to decent pedals. But then, most shoes and overshoes have rear-facing reflective patches.

• Like Like x 1
  13. booze and cake

booze and cake probably out cycling

The point of them is to take them off, throw them in the parts box, where over time they sink to the bottom and gather fluff and dust like a forgotten boiled sweet in a jacket pocket, only to be found years later when I think what the hell did I bother keeping them for^_^

• Like Like x 8
  14. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

In fairness to the OP, I think she means why are they so poor (nobody on the planet is daft enough to not know what a reflector is)
    And I would agree they are pretty rubbish - I took some video of myself cycling at night to evaluate how visible i was, and if you look at the follwing screenshot, you can see the HiViz reflective tape that I sewed onto the back of my right overshoe and the reflective tape sewed across my bum, but the reflector on the pedal itself is pretty useless. I struggle to see the point of them too.

reflec.jpg
    the reflector tape is brighter than the three lights

• Like Like x 1
  15. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

My bike reflectors are now on a concrete post on the edge of my drive so I don’t reverse into it. Never hit the post. Not once.

When they were on my bike I got hit by 3 cars. Not at the same time thankfully. True story.

• Like Like x 9