what's the point of bike reflectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randombiker9

So me and one of my friends who also cycles to college. We were taking about how my friend had reflectors on the bike. But he doesn't see the point of them as they never work. (i've never bothered to put reflectors on my bike) even though we do have them but like above they don't work either. I just have a white front light and red rear light. (i do have amber pedal reflectors but like above i don't see the point)
So what is the point of reflectors?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is this a trick question?

Slick

Guru
They're a legal must on pedals apparently, but even cars have reflectors. Just another tool in the box I reckon, especially side on.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Pedal reflectors are excellent. I only wish there was a reliable way of attaching them to decent pedals. But then, most shoes and overshoes have rear-facing reflective patches.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
The point of them is to take them off, throw them in the parts box, where over time they sink to the bottom and gather fluff and dust like a forgotten boiled sweet in a jacket pocket, only to be found years later when I think what the hell did I bother keeping them for^_^

winjim

Smash the cistern
See if you can spot the difference between these two photos.
20141114_181943-jpg.jpg

20141114_182009-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

Have you ever driven (or ridden) in the dark behind a cyclist with pedal reflectors?
Don't most bikes have amber pedal reflectors as it's part of the law unless your bike was made before 01/10/85 .

Yes you are correct. They often dont work. But you need to keep the power supply topped up and make sure you know where the on - off buttons are. You and your friend need to go over each others bikes and make sure the reflectors operate correctly.
Reflectors don't always have a on-off button. But with the Highway code why does it state you should have a red rear reflector if they don't work well? But unless your police department is strict as long as you have a front light and red rear light. I doubt you would get pulled over. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Oooh, I love reflectors, me. When I'm in charge I shall remove the requirement for bikes to have lights, we'll all just have lovely lovely reflectors and the roads will be a much nicer place for it.
I think that's a bad idea

My bike reflectors are now on a concrete post on the edge of my drive so I don’t reverse into it. Never hit the post. Not once.

When they were on my bike I got hit by 3 cars. Not at the same time thankfully. True story.
:bravo:

winjim

Smash the cistern
The brown pot is not in first picture anyway what that got to do with anything?
In one of the photos the rear light is lit. I'm buggered if I can remember which one though. The point is, reflectors are great. The way they interact with the light source makes them much more dynamic than lights, which just disappear into the background noise of bright flashy horribleness. And I like the idea of reflectors as a passive method of illumination, it's so much friendlier than shining bright lights into everybody's faces all the time.

BTW, if I had my way it wouldn't just be bikes with less active lighting. I'd get rid of DRLs and allow nothing more than sidelights in built up areas. And as for those new fangled directional turny looking round cornery type lights...

Top Bottom