what's the point of bike reflectors?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Reflecting upon the meaningfulness of reflectors. Deep man, deep.

tyred

Legendary Member
I do think there is a point to having reflectors on a bike. They are a potentially useful failsafe and as mentioned car lights hit them they do add something different. Unfortunately I see so many bikes which have badly fitted reflectors which are pointing in all directions and may be of benefit to help the pilot of a low-flying 747 to see you but aren't much use to other road vehicles.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I definitely think of them as something extra and most certainly as a backup for if your rear light fails or drops off. Chances are you will never know if this happens until you get home.

I think reflectors get a bad rap; I recall reading a MTB magazine saying you look stupid with them. Well at least you can be pretty cool after a vehicle has hit you. Pays your money, takes your choice. I always have them don't care if they look a bit nerdly.

They are a failsafe for when your lights fail. All motor vehicles need them too, not just bicycles at night.

What do you mean by don't work well?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I do think there is a point to having reflectors on a bike. They are a potentially useful failsafe and as mentioned car lights hit them they do add something different. Unfortunately I see so many bikes which have badly fitted reflectors which are pointing in all directions and may be of benefit to help the pilot of a low-flying 747 to see you but aren't much use to other road vehicles.

You've misunderstood how reflectors work. The reflecty bits have 90 degree internal facets (aka corner reflectors) so light from any direction is reflected back where it came from. Same principle for a radar reflector on a boat, or even the reflector on the moon lander to reflect radar (or was it a a laser) back to earth

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

They are a failsafe for when your lights fail. All motor vehicles need them too, not just bicycles at night.
But don’t motor vehicles have reflectors in case there brake lights fail? Bicycles don’t have brake lights. Also not many people lights would fail if they carry spare batteries or USB cord

Tim Hall

But don’t motor vehicles have reflectors in case there brake lights fail?
No.

Ajax Bay

Guru
But don’t motor vehicles have reflectors in case there brake lights fail?
I don’t drive so why then?
I suspect that the most useful function of reflectors on motor vehicles is when they are stationary at night on the road, without their lights operating. Parked vehicles in the dark will thus be more visible to road users than if they did not have reflectors fitted.
Since cycles are rarely 'parked' on the road this is not a function required of a cycle reflector. The usefulness of reflectors on bicycles has been well covered above.
Please could you (OP) suggest/explain how a "USB cord" carried by a rider would prevent a light failing (I'm judging you are too young to yet have fitted a hub dynamo with a USB socket).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
My bike doesn't have any reflectors fitted... but my pannier does have a big reflective patch, and my ankle strap is also reflective. Without those, i'd certainly be fitting reflectors to my pedals at very least. They certainly show up on unlit country lanes, from a good distance too.

Top Bottom