What's the point of Dads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Just sitting round the campfire with my 17yr old. We are chewing the fat and putting the world to rights. It doesn't get any better than this..... Life looks pretty good from here.
:rolleyes: Could the camp fire be in Yorkshire.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My Dad has been an absolute rock to me and my sister. He's worked hard from age 15 (left school) and is still working hard now at 70. He's made sure his kids and grandkids never go without, but has taught us the value of money and more importantly that we all help each other as a family. He's not one for "I love you"s, but it's obvious that his family means the world to him. I couldn't have wished for a better Dad and am so grateful becasue some weren't like that, or some aren't around any more

gbb

Legendary Member
Further to my earlier post, sometimes you dont realise until afterwards the things your dad did had significance...
Like the time I ripped the wing off his car as he was teaching me to drive. He was trying to get me to park it in the garage, I said I couldnt, he said you can....and I ripped the wing off on the garage door frame. He never raised his voice, just smoothed over the mini disaster and told mum someone must have hit the car. Protective and empathetic. I feel I'm kinda the same with my kids and grandkids, perhaps he set the tone. Even my daughter in law says I do stuff for her that no-one, not even her father, has ever done for her.

He would always say...if you're going to do something, do it the very best you can....and as an adult, I do. Again, he set the tone.

In some cases, definately in mine, you can almost become the person your father was.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
My Dad was a top man. Bought up in poverty during the 20's and 30's in a large family, 4 boys, 4 girls., 2 Uncles lived with them as well. Started work at 14, went to war on D day aged 18 and 6months. He was a very strong character, said what he meant, and meant what he said. He worked on the railways after being demobbed from the army in 1948. My childhood was very very good. he used to take us out when he wasn't working to visit places around the country. He taught me how to fish, mend bicycles, motorbikes and cars. Best of all he was very supportive, ferrying me around to watch me play football. He took me to my first proper game Spurs v Sunderland in 1968, and always had time to explain something and show me things.
He died 3 years ago aged 92. I miss him everyday.
20170930_095711.jpg

IMG-20160109-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My Dad has been an absolute rock to me and my sister. He's worked hard from age 15 (left school) and is still working hard now at 70. He's made sure his kids and grandkids never go without, but has taught us the value of money and more importantly that we all help each other as a family. He's not one for "I love you"s, but it's obvious that his family means the world to him. I couldn't have wished for a better Dad and am so grateful becasue some weren't like that, or some aren't around any more
Could almost be my dad too.
he grew up with 3 sibling in a 2 bed house with no water or heating. Left home as soon as he could to come to London to make his career.
He and mum provides so much to me and my brother, both financially and emotionally. Just the knowledge that I would be supported if all else fails is a great safety net. And something that shouldn’t go unnoticed because so many don’t have that safety net.

keithmac

Guru
Not much to say about mine really, spilt up from my mum early doors, borderline alcoholic, hasn't even sent his grandkids Birthday or Christmas cards for last 4 years (that sums it up really).

I vowed if I ever had kids their childhood years wouldn't be as shoot as mine and hopefully my son and daughter agree..

My best friend from school was in exactly the same boat, still best mates 30 odd years later.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
This is some post.I was an awful dad,to my first two.Always at work and grumpy when home.I also never gave praise.A monster finished up getting divorced.,then i got married a second time and i am just so different.The pain of being a mess with the first two,never leaves me.
Thing is you sorted being a daffodil and now you're not. Move on.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
:surrender: Just reading through this thread.

Dusty round here.

mustang1

Guru
Dads are the boulder in the family. Unlike water which flows wherver it wants to, they are 80% like a boulder, nothing can move it. They are 20% water because you have to change with the times.

But overall, dads stand for strength, trust and consistency.

Top Bottom