What's the point of Dads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'm not entirely sure how I would describe my relationship with my father. Even today I never feel entirely comfortable in his company and find him difficult to talk to. Growing up he was often very critical and bad tempered. Also, I think like myself he is introverted and finds it difficult to communicate and is happy to be alone a lot of the time.

On the other hand, I learned a lot about maintaining and repairing cars, lorries, tractors and farm machinery and other DIY tasks. Over the years I have come to admire his work ethic and the way he just got on with whatever he had to do without a word of complaint. He was born with a hereditary lung condition (which thankfully I don't have) and despite suffering from a bad chest and sometimes severe asthma as a result he kept going and working and never complained. A few years ago after a chest infection which never cleared up despite all sorts of meds and gradually got worse he ended up in intensive care for a week and he surprised the consultant by recovering, again without complaint and he was out and about as much as he was able to be almost as soon as they let him out of hospital and seeing his will and determination left me very intolerant of life's moaners and their first world problems.

JSRossi

Regular
I only had my Dad with me for 8 years as, quite ironically given the home of this forum, he died after being knocked off his bike on his way home from work. He adored his children and we adored him and, with my own children, I try everyday to be there for them and just try to create a message of doing the right thing! Not everyone is lucky enough to have one, or to get a good one, but for me, the point of Dads is to be there, to guide down the right path, but still be there for support when the wrong path is chosen! Inadvertently my Dad taught me that life can be taken away when you least expect it.... , don’t worry too much about yesterday, or tomorrow, and cherish today!

alicat

Legendary Member
Despite some of the negativety above I think we all need a dad, both boys and girls.

I agree with this and my heart goes out to everyone who never had one or whose dad wasn't there or wasn't a good role model. :hugs:@Saluki @numbnuts @winjim.

I put myself in that category. My dad thought his only role was to put food on the table and keep out of my mother's way. I can't remember him ever playing with me or teaching me anything. He is currently trying to make amends by helping me sort out 'my problems'. I'm grateful yet so weary as I approach my 60th birthday in 10 days' time with the family knowing it is a big birthday and making no effort to say 'How are you celebrating?' and 'Can we join in?'.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Right...... how long have you got :rolleyes:.
As a little boy I recall life being happy.
Then (as my Bro puts it)our Dad got religion. He drummed and forced it into us. 5 meetings every week, family bible studies etc etc.
I stood out as different at school (well I was different).
He was cold. When our daughter was about 12 she almost begged to stay with them.......no chance. He would say "you chose to have children, you look after them".
When he died I could not shed a tear.
Now......
From the minute my daughter was born I loved her so much it hurt (hope that makes sense).
My son would sit on my knee and tell me he loved me.......even aged 16 (and he was 5' 10" ^_^.
I won't prattle on any more but feel fee to ask anything.

Top Bottom