What's the point of ignore lists?

Should we get rid of the ignore list?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Ignore List goes against the whole idea of a forum, surely?

What's the point of it, it's counter-productive. Also it seems a bit childish - "I don't like what you say so I'm going to cover my ears and whistle"

And it means that some threads develop in a very strange way, you ask a valid question and never get a reply, etc.....

I reckon they should be done away with....

domtyler

Über Member
I totally understand where you're coming from, I have experienced the frustration first-hand (Hi Gary! :biggrin:). On the other hand there are people who really do deserve to be totally ignored and in these cases it is good to be able to whack 'em on there. Even if it's temporary.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Never used one - I always find it quite amusing to see what drivel some pretentious pr*cks spout as 'fact'.... I'd feel like I was missing out if I put them on ignore.

yenrod

>And it means that some threads develop in a very strange way, you ask a valid question and never get a reply, etc.....

I routinely converse with certain 'people' but never get a reply ! - Pat Stevens is namely one of them....

Abitrary

Ignore lists can't work simply because the posters that people claim to ignore are in fact the ones they are most inclined to read. Some sort of neurotic control mechanism if you ask me.

Almost like putting a padlock on the fridge and hiding the key.

No. It's like putting a padlock on the fridge and hiding the key in the freezer.
I think we should keep it, I've just started using it and find it reduces my blood pressure.

yello

I don't use it, but some do. Therefore I say keep it.

Why people put others on their ignore list is their concern.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I don't use it as I would hate to miss any reasonable ideas which even loonies occasionally come up with. There is only one forum member I completely ignore, in the sense of refusing to reply to posts directed to me personally, but that was because of his insulting behaviour and not simply because he is a knob.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I never used to use them. But once I did (just for a couple of people), it was really quite worthwhile. There are some people it is not actually worth listening to. Really.

yenrod

Keith Oates said:
I haven't used it yet but there are posts from some people I usually pass over or at best give a cursory glance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is great example Keith of why an Ignore List is not essential.

I definately think its a GREAT IDEA to be rid of it.

Great thread by Zim'lad.

spire

To the point
Flying_Monkey said:
I never used to use them. But once I did (just for a couple of people), it was really quite worthwhile. There are some people it is not actually worth listening to. Really.

Mao and Stalin agreed with this viewpoint.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
spire said:
Mao and Stalin agreed with this viewpoint.

Blimey!

In the small world of internet fora, a leisure activity for most, I don't see the harm in being able to ignore people who make the experience of being here less fun. I don't use them personally, but I can understand why people do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom