What's the steepest/longest/biggest hill you've climbed (on a bike?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
3 contenders for me:

Chimney Bank Yorkshire - on a loaded tourer:eek: - about 600 feet in a mile

The Oberjoch Pass in Bavaria - easy-ish but long drag - overtook cars on way down:becool:

The Schanzenstrasse in Oberstdorf Bavaria - stupid steep and twisty - red hot rims on way down

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
So far, Kirkstone Pass, twice in one day. That was a longbastardhill.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Steepest - Horseshoe pass from Llangollen, which has a stretch of 1:5 (!!)
Llanberis Pass has got to be in with a shout too...
Longest - Ventoux from Sault. 26k of uphill hurtiness, including the top 6k which are 1:10 the whole way.
I didn't hugely enjoy Col de la Colombiere either, but the climb from Cluses back up to my hotel at Chatillon was awful.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Rosedale Chimney, Yorkshire Moors but luckily it was on a mountain bike with probably a 24x32.

On the roadie, Jeffrey Hill and Waddington Fell are both part of my weekend rides routinely.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I regularly do the big climbs up here in the lakes.
Wrynose pass from the East/Langdale side seems to be a favourite at the moment - God knows why, it's like riding up a (very bumpy) tarmac wall.
^_^

matthat

Über Member
Don't how these hills fit in with the big boys but I used to go up market hill in maldon Essex which from memory is 1 in 4 but probably only 3/4 of a mile long, I used to do that on a battered 2nd hand rd bike in the early 90's! More recently I've done parbold hill nr Wigan fairly regularly over last few yrs but now having moved to Liverpool I'm fairly hill less unless my mate takes me for a jaunt to the edge of wales!

ASC1951

Guru
Steepest - Rosedale Chimney for me, too; but parts of the Col des Glieres in the Rhone Alps came close
Longest - the Galibier, I would think, depending on where you count from. I don't remember much downhill from a long way out on any of the three routes.
Biggest - probably the Galibier again.

Pico de Veleta is still on the list for my declining years. That would definitely be my longest and biggest.

GrasB

Veteran
Longest by far is the 68.4km long jaunt to the Swiss border, a meagre 2481m of net elevation gain with around 2600m of ascent.

Steepest is an off-road route. There's a wonderful road up to the accommodation block of a little weather & climate observatory. However once at the little hut there's a 2.6km long foot track running in a straight line up the ridge. Ave gradient of 28.3%, peeking at around 41%. Takes 40-45min.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Longest by far is the 68.4km long jaunt to the Swiss border, a meagre 2481m of net elevation gain with around 2600m of ascent.

Steepest is an off-road route. There's a wonderful road up to the accommodation block of a little weather & climate observatory. However once at the little hut there's a 2.6km long foot track running in a straight line up the ridge. Ave gradient of 28.3%, peeking at around 41%. Takes 40-45min.
Oh....:hyper::thumbsup:

Top Bottom