What's the steepest/longest/biggest hill you've climbed (on a bike?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The longest & highest would be the Col de l'Iseran from Bourg St Maurice, 48 km at 4.1 % is not steep but you rise 1955 m to 2770 m, the highest paved pass in europe.

If you start from sea level its actually a rise of 2770m (with a few ups and downs and flat bits)

nappadang

Über Member
I'm a complete hill (and road cycling) noob. I've been dragging myself up Haggs Lane (Lamesley over to Sunniside) in Gateshead. Don't know how it compares but it is a hard slog for me.
I'm sure locals are sniggering but it's my test piece at the minute

I've done the HLifax ones that @Richard A Thackeray mentions, but on a mountain bike with 22/34 as lowest gear. Elland cricket club to Blackley off road is another bit of a tow, as is Copley to The trig point on Norland Moor.

Hardest for me was Wessenden fromMeltham. Unforgiving sort of climb with loads of false horizons and a nasty headwind.
I quite enjoy Cragg Vale, in a smug sort of way.

Halifax Harriers have a fell-race around Norland Moor, I've not done it, yet, but want to
http://www.halifaxharriers.co.uk/club/club-races/tour-of-norland-moor/

And, the Stainland Lions 'Bluebell Trail 10Mile', that's the one that goes up Trooper Lane, & back down Dark Lane (amongst other dips & climbs)
http://stainlandlions.com/Club_Races/2014/BluebellTrail/index.htm

How about the climb from Luddenden Foot, up towards Mount Tabor??

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Halifax Harriers have a fell-race around Norland Moor, I've not done it, yet, but want to
http://www.halifaxharriers.co.uk/club/club-races/tour-of-norland-moor/

And, the Stainland Lions 'Bluebell Trail 10Mile', that's the one that goes up Trooper Lane, & back down Dark Lane (amongst other dips & climbs)
http://stainlandlions.com/Club_Races/2014/BluebellTrail/index.htm

How about the climb from Luddenden Foot, up towards Mount Tabor??
Its not that bad. The S-bends above what used to be a pub are the danger point on that road.

Is the Beacon Hill fell race still run? Used to go straight up from what is now the main entrance to the Nestle factory.

Brackenbed from Wheatley to Pellon Lane(100 foot elevation in just over 200 feet traveled on part) & Windy Bank Lane from Holmfield to Queenbury are worth a go.

Last edited:

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Yikes! That climb took so long you appear to have ridden from summer into winter on the way up!

I take it the stop half way down was for new brake pads!

Fantastic effort! Well done!

davdandy

Not many steep hills where i live but i would count Parbold Hill and Sheephouse lane in Rivington as the hardest i have climbed.

Tin Pot

Guru
3 contenders for me:

Chimney Bank Yorkshire - on a loaded tourer:eek: - about 600 feet in a mile

The Oberjoch Pass in Bavaria - easy-ish but long drag - overtook cars on way down:becool:

The Schanzenstrasse in Oberstdorf Bavaria - stupid steep and twisty - red hot rims on way down

Mount Kenya.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
in recent years, on road...

steepest, probs something in Ashdown forest, or Bignor
longest, Puerto de San Glorio in Cantabria starting from Potes, the ascent is 26.7 km long. Over this distance, the elevation gain is 1278 meters. The average percentage is 4.8 %.

Its not that bad. The S-bends above what used to be a pub are the danger point on that road.

Is the Beacon Hill fell race still run? Used to go straight up from what is now the main entrance to the Nestle factory.

Brackenbed from Wheatley to Pellon Lane & Windy Bank Lane from Holmfield to Queenbury are worth a go.

1. It's not an area that I'm over familiar with, I only really know the 'Bluebell' route, bits of Copley, so can't comment

2. Not sure about that, there's not one on the FRA calendar, that I know of

3. Again, not one that I know. (I do pass through Queensbury though, on the way to fell-races at Haworth)

gyorgyigabor

Hello, this is the steepest and maybe the hardest climb I have ever cycled: Grosser Oscheniksee (2394 m)
I edited this video about that day a week ago. It is in Austria and is 17 kms long with only 9,8%, but the last 10 kms are 13 % steep, often 14-15% and you can see in the video as I recorded 18-19-20% !
Have pleasure with it !

Top Bottom