What's The World Coming To?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!

BS PR for the meatless society advocates. 🐮

SydZ

Über Member
One of the best pies I have had in recent years was a non-wheat, vegan pie I got from a local deli (it was reduced as it was close to the end of the day and I was interested to see what it would be like).

Thing about it was, though, that it wasn’t pretending to be meat, it was a nice, tasty, vegan pie.

now i have nowt against folk who dont want to eat meat but i often think why do so much stuff i see try to imitate meat flavour and texture ?
I eat very little meat, now that I don't raise my own, but I find it very difficult to see the point or purpose of 'imitation meat' when there is so much good food that doesn't contain meat or any imitation thereof.

I suppose I can see the purpose if someone really likes meat but has been told they must stop eating it for some genuine health reason - a bit like a sweet-toothed person with diabetes will sweeten their tea or coffee with 'imitation sugar'.

Otherwise? I fail to see the point of it at all.

Good morning,

I certainly get your point, but I also have a lot of sympathy for the makers Pieminister(https://pieminister.co.uk/).

They sell to both supermarkets and pubs/restaurants/etc so this pie is probably not a political/environmental statement simply their customers saying that their customers want this type of pie. When the demand goes, so will this pie.

There is a pub in Worcester that sells them, The King Charles (https://www.craddocksbrewery.com/portfolio/king-charles-ii-worcester/) and having tried a few I can safely say that they are a big step up from Pukka Pies, but so they should be.

They're sold there at £12.5 for pie, mash and peas so they seem to me to be targeted at people going out for a cheapish couple of pints and something to eat, a works outing or let's go to Worcester and see the racecourse and cathedral and have a pub lunch. The pies are a step down from a full home/restaurant made item and a step up from most fish and chip shop's pies.

But when I had one I had to follow it up with a meal!

Bye

Ian

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
now i have nowt against folk who dont want to eat meat but i often think why do so much stuff i see try to imitate meat flavour and texture ?

As a lifetime veggie I have never understood the need to make processed food look like meat thing? I have never struggled to find food I like, I don't use cookbooks, jackfruit looks vile, have never had to supplement my diet.
Agreed and I feel the same way about those who think 'faux fur' is ok.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Anyway, on a lighter note why is this pie sat on mashed potatoes @Smokin Joe ? 🤔 It's like your 'cockney' pie and mash, wouldn't you say?;)

1647220696178.png

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Vern would have been most discombobulated!
I remember his reaction when a pasty won the 'Pie of the Year' competition.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Anyway, on a lighter note why is this pie sat on mashed potatoes @Smokin Joe ? 🤔 It's like your 'cockney' pie and mash, wouldn't you say?;)

View attachment 635297
We cycled to Cheshire last week. You can't see it but these innocent looking beans on toast were sat on a bed of watercress!!! :eek: Just one leaf visible.

In the same cafe we overheard the immortal line "Of course they've moved in to the chateau now."

20220310_121305.jpg

Top Bottom