What's the worst bike you've ever had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No, I lied. I had one of these monstrous sh!tters for a while:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrSOUChMFVsWFFhudMM7019PEor4TGPjZRdOXTs5xx74VBI_c9.jpg

It was atrocious.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Can't believe the comments about Choppers - I loved mine and even took it off road on many occasions (much to the demise of some of the welding on the seatube)

So who cares if the handlebars wobbled uncontrollably above 20mph - you could wheelie all day on it

I eventually swapped the forks on mine for longer ones from a road bike, and a smaller front wheel from a Raleigh Tomahawk.

This cured the wobbling problem at this point, as steering was now mostly decorative, and there was no front brake either.

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I had a Claud Butler Stone River once. I bought it from BuyAsYouView when the ex and I were stupid enough to get into debt. It was too big. It was too long.The shocks were crap. It weighed a ton. I hated it from the first ride.
Part ex'd it at the bike shop for a GiantOCR3.

I believe the Mushtang was single handed responsible for Raleigh having zero credibility in the crucial early days of Mountain bikes. Or was that the Lizard?

I just happened to be standing in a bike shop oggling the one and only Mk1 Stumpjumper they had in stock. The first mountainbike that I had ever seen in the metal, when the Raleigh rep was asked what he thought of it. He was quite unequivical when he scoffed that it was 'the farking stupidest, ugliest bike' he'd ever clapped eyes on and that 'No-one would ever be stupid enough to buy one'. 'What a piece of shoot' he said. 'Raleigh will never make a mountain bike' he said.

A few months later I wandered into a Raleigh dealer and asked if they had any mountain bikes - to be told that this:

raleigh-bomber-coastal-cycles.jpg

heap, adapted from their Post Office bikes, was a mountain bike. When I pointed out that actual mountain bikes had cantlever brakes, 15 gears and alu rims she said that the Bomber was 'better' because '3 gears is less complicated'.

When Raleigh eventually gave in to the inevitable and attempted to jump on the mountainbike bandwagon it was so far down the road that they were never able to catch up. They imported Raleigh USA bikes in desperation and then basically infilled the lower end of the market with mountainbike shaped junk. The Lizard, Mustang, Marauder, Yukon and all those stupid glued together Dyna-techs that fell apart. Shameful.

Top Bottom