What's the worst bike you've ever had?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
"Owned" a challenge thing from Argos that my wifes friend was chucking out, wondered if i wanted any spares off it . I politely took it (along with a decent GT Aggressor which she was scrapping aswell) The Challenge was owned till the scrapman came a couple of hours later.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
I think looking back my Chopper was my worst bike.

In the seventies a kids bike had to do everything, on road and off, and the Chopper was good at neither. I was also an nearly version of Richard Hammond, intent on breaking the land speed record and wouldn't let a silly little thing like serious injury or death get in the way. Alas, the Chopper was so violently unstable that even walking it across the garden to the shed at the end of the day could set off a nasty tank slapper and it was eventually to break my leg.

At the time I was a cool dude, Dennis Hopper and Evel Knieval rolled into one, but looking back the reality failed to come close to the image. Choppers eventually faded away, but the modern equivalent would be an Audi

Even as a kid, I wondered what the fuss was about Choppers. I had a 5 speed Raleigh racer that left my mates' Choppers standing and when I had a go of a Chopper, I found it awkward to ride.

One day when we were about 11 or 12, 4 or 5 of us were in a local park playing on the swings with our bikes lent against a wall. One of the lads had his Chopper and the rest of us had various other bikes.

Suddenly at the other side of the park about 100 yards away a gang of about 15 other kids, a few years older than us started running towards us, and we s*at ourselves, realising we were going to get our heads kicked in and probably our bikes robbed. We managed to get on our bikes and escaped, but I still remember some of the would be assailants / robbers shouting, "Baggsie the Chopper", "No, I'm having the Chopper", "No you're not, I am". Not only big bullies, but bike ignorant big bullies.

Drago

Legendary Member
On the move a unicycle would ace a Chopper, but parked up outside the chippie I was as smooth as Terry Thomas and has hard as a Ross Kemp documentary, and anyone on a five speed racer would be like Compo from last of the summer wine. Image was everything.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I think looking back my Chopper was my worst bike.

In the seventies a kids bike had to do everything, on road and off, and the Chopper was good at neither. I was also an nearly version of Richard Hammond, intent on breaking the land speed record and wouldn't let a silly little thing like serious injury or death get in the way. Alas, the Chopper was so violently unstable that even walking it across the garden to the shed at the end of the day could set off a nasty tank slapper and it was eventually to break my leg.

At the time I was a cool dude, Dennis Hopper and Evel Knieval rolled into one, but looking back the reality failed to come close to the image. Choppers eventually faded away, but the modern equivalent would be an Audi.

If you're not easily offended go on YouTube and search "Derek and Clive The Worst Job He Ever Had"

The chopper I got new for xmas. Circa 77 was the most wanted prezzi ever..I loved it.
But dear oh dear did I crash a lot..severed finger..gashes bruises galore..but fun in spades..
Ohh and regular swelling to the groin area after hitting that gear stick lol ..

My flat bar chopper was a later bike that needed handle bars..I was a grubby estate kid so we addapted and overcome ffs if only we had a fiver I could have had drops !!

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Thankfully my dad wouldn't let us have a Chopper. He always bought second hand for us,as he said we'd soon grow out of them By the time Choppers were being sold second hand we were into proper bikes. I haven't really had a worst bike. They've all had their faults but non stands out as being the worst.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Worst for me was the racer lookalike I had for my 6th birthday. Bottom bracket was stiff, the cranks had play in and a 6 year old hand could hardly reach the (single) brake lever and would then find it would hardly move anyway. I had my first proper crash on that bike because the brake didn't work down a steep hill.

Worst as an adult was knockabout bike number 2: an Apollo Excel which was heavy, slow and had suspension which was firm up front but soft at the rear so the tail wagged around like a happy dog. I was stubborn enough to ride it for 5 years until it completely wore out.

My first bike, when I was about 8 or 9, was an Elswick Hopper with 3 speed rear hub and mudguards like steel girders. I loved that bike and had many, many hours of fun just riding it around the estate where I lived.

At the age of about 11 I had outgrown it, and my parents replaced it with a bright green racing bike. I cant remember the make (it might have been Townsend?) but this was the worst bike in the world as far as I was concerned. Why? with drop handlebars, the brakes were of course on the hoods but my hands were not quite big enough to comfortably operate them.

It had extension brake levers parallel to the bars (suicide levers?) but they were not very effective either.

And the gear change levers were down on the frame, which meant wobbling along and fumbling about trying to find a (non indexed) gear whilst praying that the chain was not going to fall off, or that an emergency stop was not going to be required for at least 20 seconds, because if it was there would be no way my hands could get back up onto the bars and grab a brake in less than about 20 seconds.

The bike itself was probably perfectly good, but operating it just scared me witless, so I didn't ride it much at all, and by the time I had grown into it, I was concentrating all my attention on getting a moped at 16.

Chris S

Legendary Member
A Havoc Sabre. It had an MTB frame with a sticker saying 'Not for off-road use' on it.
The gears changed themselves every time you hit the slightest bump and the bottom bracket wobbled unless you tightened it up so much that the pedals didn't rotate freely.
It looked almost new when I bought it of ebay for £12, the seller was still pleased to get rid of it though.
I was pleased to sell it again a week later for £10.

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
A Havoc Sabre. It had an MTB frame with a sticker saying 'Not for off-road use' on it.
The gears changed themselves every time you hit the slightest bump and the bottom bracket wobbled unless you tightened it up so much that the pedals didn't rotate freely.
It looked almost new when I bought it of ebay for £12, the seller was still pleased to get rid of it though.
I was pleased to sell it again a week later for £10.
Sounds a bit like the bike I used to have

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Promax Aggressor

I did 1 mile before the BB collapsed - brand new too. There wasn't even any grease in it!!!

I fixed it and gave it to my Dad - he gave it back
I gave it to my Neighbour - he moved but gave it back first
I gave it to a mate - who then had it stolen. It came back via the police - mate did not want it back
I left if out for the scrappy who took it - expecting it back any day now

Top Bottom