What's this facebook malarkey?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Somebody sent me an invite to join so I could allegedly see some photos. Now I'm getting poked and tickled and all kinds of crap. Luckily my computer knows me and is rightly labelling the lot as junk and due to the kiddi protection software, I have to 'down shields' before i can get to Facebook anyway.

But! Having looked at it I don't get it. What's it all about? It just seems an amorphous waste of time mess. Am I too old d'yer think?

I'd delete the account but I don't want to offend. Instead I'm playing dumb. I'm certainly not gonna start sending fish and other blasted silly things. C'mon Facebookers, what's the protocol here?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Just set your privacy settings so noone can see your profile other than your friends......

click on privacy at the top right and change everything to 'only my friends'

bonj2

That's the best way, I do exactly the same thing.
I joined it to sign my bro's petition to bring back whispas (which he was apparently responsible for, btw) and it then told me who my friends were, based on who was in my hotmail account, which it took the liberty of hacking into by asking me for my password.
It then kept sending me emails like "do you want to be one of Ed's ninjas" or "Tom has thrown a cow at you". Basically it then had a link in the email that took me to facebook, came up with a photo of whatever friend had 'initiated' said online activity, and then asked me to click 'confirm' if I 'agreed'. I always just clicked 'agree' and then closed down that browser window. I didn't understand any more than that. :blush:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Real ones.

I got on it two years ago when you needed an ac.uk email address to get on.

So most of the friends are from University, and since it opened to the wider world, people keep coming out of the woodwork. At least one friend from back in the day appears each week, it's crazy.

yenrod

Well, lets put it this way Pat' - he wont have any if he goes to Beirut or wherever !

Though I have heard a kalashnikov only cost 60 notes, so...:smile:

Patrick Stevens said:
But surely you have to have friends for this to work? :blush:

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Patrick Stevens said:
He's talking about close personal friends here. According to the stats he's got 6,957,643 Facebook friends, of whom 23% are in prison. :smile:

....and soon he'll be targeted by Microsoft advertising! Wonder what they'll target the prison population with :blush:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
bonj said:
That's the best way, I do exactly the same thing.
I joined it to sign my bro's petition to bring back whispas (which he was apparently responsible for, btw) and it then told me who my friends were, based on who was in my hotmail account, which it took the liberty of hacking into by asking me for my password.
It then kept sending me emails like "do you want to be one of Ed's ninjas" or "Tom has thrown a cow at you". Basically it then had a link in the email that took me to facebook, came up with a photo of whatever friend had 'initiated' said online activity, and then asked me to click 'confirm' if I 'agreed'. I always just clicked 'agree' and then closed down that browser window. I didn't understand any more than that. :blush:

well a quick search for you on facebook narrowed it down to about 10. i assume you're not the one that's just graduated from cambridge?

Crackle said:
What, real friends or Facebook friends :blush:

:smile:
I still have a MySpace account, which I opened in order to post some photos of the van in my avatar when I was thinking about selling it. (I still am, by the way, I just never got around to it.) Now, my MySpace site is completely empty, there's nothing on there whatsoever. And yet I still get emails saying "Stacey 489 would like to be your friend", or whatever. I ask you, what kind of saddo wants to be friends with a complete stranger who has an empty MySpace page? It really put me off the whole thing.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

bonj said:
well i've got four hundred and twenty FIVE cows. :smile:

Well I've got some Cows, a few fish, a number of quizzes. lots of pokes, a few dances, a super poke (what the F,,, is a super-poke). some compatibility tests and a whole bunch of other nonsense. All pending I might add as I have to install 3rd party stuff to view them, should I ever so get the urge.

I have now pared the thing down to friends only, which I thought would be one but apparently I inherit all their friends too, which are growing as more people are sucked into the Facebook blackhole. I've turned off all notifications but this seems to be an electronic data opt out ploy as I am still recieving cows and fish and stuff. I am about to go nuclear and implement spam filter 'kill', a most secret weapon.

I'd forgotten about MySpace: Uuurgghh! I've only just got my head around forums [fora?] :blush:

Top Bottom