What's up with Jaguar/Land Rover?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
They haven't produced their own engines for years. Their range is a mix of Peugeot/Ford and BMW engines.

Thats incorrect I'm afraid. You're 5 years behind the times. They spent a fortune developing the new Ingenium diesels from a blank sheet of paper. It's a modular system, entirely all their own work (aside from units such as the turbo, which come from Mitsubishi). They are nothing whatsoever to do with any of the previous engines they've used under licence from other manufacturers.

https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/n...um-family-straight-six-cylinder-petrol-engine

"Designed and manufactured in house..."

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Who in there right mind is going to buy a diesel motor today. What with the new imission laws coming in all the time. The diesel will be worth nothing in a few years time. But then you could always blame brexit. Hybrid or electric is the only way to go with new cars.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm surprised Hydrogen isn't catching on. Fuel cell technology is quite effective and mature now, and it eliminates range anxiety concerns in one fell swoop...or it would if anyone got behind in for the infrastructure.

Jody

Stubborn git
You're 5 years behind the times. They spent a fortune developing the new Ingenium diesels from a blank sheet of paper. It's a modular system, entirely all their own work.

Wasn't aware of that as I don't work in the retail side of the trade anymore so don't keep up to date with whats going on. The previous 15 years were all outsourced engines.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Thats incorrect I'm afraid. You're 5 years behind the times. They spent a fortune developing the new Ingenium diesels from a blank sheet of paper. It's a modular system, entirely all their own work (aside from units such as the turbo, which come from Mitsubishi). They are nothing whatsoever to do with any of the previous engines they've used under licence from other manufacturers.

https://media.jaguarlandrover.com/n...um-family-straight-six-cylinder-petrol-engine

"Designed and manufactured in house..."

And that new engine has been a monster, blow up galore, if you must buy, buy a pre 15 plate or get a seriously good guarantee on that engine.

Son in law works for JLR main dealer parts side, he is a very busy man..

Something like 40% of their turnover is warranty claims from JLR, that's shocking

D

Deleted member 26715

Who in there right mind is going to buy a diesel motor today.
Anybody who wants an economic car
What with the new imission laws coming in all the time.
But that is part of the problem they say they are going to penalise diesel, but haven't really done anything about it
The diesel will be worth nothing in a few years time.
I'm not sure about that, there are too many around, lets face it they encouraged them in the 90's
Hybrid or electric is the only way to go with new cars.
Agreed, but the current pricing it way beyond the average person unless they want to go down the PCP/Lease route which is the way that the car manufactures want everybody to do.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yeah, camshaft roller bearings. Smooth and low friction, but there's a very good reason the idea was tried and quickly discarded in the 60s and 70s.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
In a nutshell there piss poor quality
Buy if you like having a courtesy car for weeks on end

Yep, total crap, especially the Evoque.

Colleague has a leased one but also pays extra for maintenance. The car is in every month for all sorts of problems. They know the mechanics and call centre by first name terms.

Its just so unreliable.

I believe Shaun Yates in one of his books slagged off the Sky Jag team cars, they would get in them in the mornings not knowing if the cars would start.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This story about Doug DeMuro's own Range Rover might offer an explanation as to why JLR are in trouble. He took out a warranty on the used car which has paid out in repairs more than the car is now worth !

View: https://youtu.be/FvJCCoLoKRA

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I read a news article about a journalist trying to sell his Disco3, couldnt even get a trade in as no-one would touch it. He then bought a midfle aged used Lexus hybrid SUV.

Drago

Legendary Member
He took out a warranty on the used car which has paid out in repairs more than the car is now worth

Hardly a sustainable business model!

A fair few dealers won't take modern Landies or Rangies as trade ins - it costs too much to prepare them to a fit state to sell, and then having sold them they're going to be back fairly quickly needing repair.

Jody

Stubborn git
A fair few dealers won't take modern Landies or Rangies as trade ins - it costs too much to prepare them to a fit state to sell, and then having sold them they're going to be back fairly quickly needing repair.

My colleague has just agreed to buy his BIL's 06my Disco 3 TDV6 off him. Only time will tell if it was a wise decision but I think I know the answer.

Top Bottom