What's up with Jaguar/Land Rover?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
If I lived in Massachusetts I'd sooner have a Hyundai...and spend the change on a P99 and concealed carry holster ;)

A Mr Yee Haw Drago pictured going for a pint of milk

KvkIj7p.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Reliability is very much hitting their bottom line - the profit is being whittled back as they have to support sometimes outrageous warranty repair costs.

Profits for the manufacturer are in the order of 10-15%, depending on the model. A new engine in a 50 grand Discovery Sport or Evoque, a not terribly uncommon occurrence, and the labour to fit it complete wipes out any profit from that vehicle, and more. By the time many JLR products have reached the end of the warranty cycle JLR have made an overall loss on them.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Reliability is very much hitting their bottom line - the profit is being whittled back as they have to support sometimes outrageous warranty repair costs.

Profits for the manufacturer are in the order of 10-15%, depending on the model. A new engine in a 50 grand Discovery Sport or Evoque, a not terribly uncommon occurrence, and the labour to fit it complete wipes out any profit from that vehicle, and more. By the time many JLR products have reached the end of the warranty cycle JLR have made an overall loss on them.
Well I've provided hard, verifiable facts to support my assertion that it's as a result of sales slowdown in China

Care to provide same for yours or is it just anecdotal?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
But there isn't a viable alternative for many, if not most people, which is why the Government can't tax them off the road.
Of course there is, petrol engine cars are widely available and fuel is 10p a litre cheaper than diesel. The government won't tax diesel off the road overnight, but VED will gradually increase with every budget and towns and cities are looking at diesel taxes too. I was a diesel driver for years but I wouldn't touch one now.

Levo-Lon

Guru
In our local news feed this morning, Newcastle on Tyne are considering a fee, varying from £3.40 to £56 per day for vehicles using the city bridges. My Yaris Hybrid would pay very little, a large diesel lorry the £56. I think the kick-back on diesel usage is just around the corner!

People just won't deliver to the town or vist

Levo-Lon

Guru

There is nothing in the sale..of a new range rover, jag to make a salesman happy
It's all about service and warranty.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Meanwhile a brand known for its reliability Honda have increased their profit and market share in China year on year.

And probably why they wa t to make cars nearer to its biggest market.

KneesUp

Guru
Meanwhile a brand known for its reliability Honda have increased their profit and market share in China year on year.
I've owned many cars, driven many more, and been transported in even more - from an Austin Allegro to a Prius to a Porsche 928 to a 735iL to a TVR Chimerea. I can honestly say my current petrol Civic is the most complete family car I've ever owned. I can't really fault it, for all it's 10 years old and just cost me the best part of £500 to MOT (shocks were shocking) I can see why people buy them.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
While watching that horrorshow vid on the RangeRover I was comparing my experiences as the eight month owner of a 130,000 mile Honda Jazz, which has worked faultlessly in every department except for consumables - exhaust, battery, alternator belt. £1290 and it hasn't missed a beat. Not even a squeak or a rattle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They shouldn't have stopped making the Defender. At least that was an easy fix, although, the price of them was astounding towards the end of the production runs.

KneesUp

Guru
They shouldn't have stopped making the Defender. At least that was an easy fix, although, the price of them was astounding towards the end of the production runs.
And they only stopped because if EU laws on efficiency . emissions iirc? Perhaps we will get them back, with blue passports?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hasn't that always been the case with Jaguars?

No.

The reason Jags were beloved of villains - and the coppers who chased them - was because they were fast and cheap.

Times change, but Jaguar is not the only luxury carmaker facing problems over its diesel engines.

My brother inquired about a changing his Mercedes for a petrol one and was told by the dealer: "Mercedes is a diesel franchise."

He bought a (petrol) Honda.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm on my third VW Passat Estate and apart from a rear door lock that freezes in very cold weather this one has been 100% reliable in 3 years. When my employer wants it back I'm going to buy it off them as I like it so much, it's the perfect cyclist's car.

You've only got to look at car forecourts all around the country to see that there's a massive over-supply of cars chasing too small a market.

Top Bottom