What's up with Jaguar/Land Rover?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
They are "selling" a premium product and charging accordingly but supplying nothing of the sort. The new Jags are rusting faster than Datsuns ever did. ^_^
Not quite as bad as the days where you bought a new car and then three years later you swept it up off the drive and bought another!

KneesUp

Guru
[QUOTE 5542558, member: 9609"]But the manafacturers seem to have a cunning plan here - I have a mate with a back street repair business, and he tells me the latest cars he is getting (just out of warranty) can't even do stuff like oil changes - sensors on oil diesel filters have to be programmed into the ECU after changing - so that's a main dealer job.

It won't be long before owning a car outwith its warrenty will be a financial liability (its already happened with wagons) So like it or not you will just have to keep buying new (another environmental disaster binning off perfectly good vehicles)[/QUOTE]
I’ll keep my 10 year old Honda until it falls to bits. Hopefully there will be a way around this by then.

Cavalol

Guru
Isn't it because their bubble has burst due to the biggest market (China, iirc) stopping buying them as much now? Land Rovers seem incredibly frustrating things to me, would love to have one but they've been unreliable rubbish for a long, long time now.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Agree with that. My Toyota is +100k miles and eight years old (I bought it at about 35k miles) and apart from normal consumable items and a small cost related to a water pump it has been completely reliable. I don't think I have ever spend so little on a car. Also I have had other cars when +100k miles start to rattle and squeak but the Toyota is like knew. Never had a Toyota before but would definitely have one again.

There is a good reason for this. Toyota are religious about quality control. Their 'Kaizen' philosophy has been cited and used by many big companies for internal improvement.

vickster

Legendary Member
There is a good reason for this. Toyota are religious about quality control. Their 'Kaizen' philosophy has been cited and used by many big companies for internal improvement.
Haven't they had a bunch of recalls though? Recently https://finance.yahoo.com/news/toyota-recall-2019-air-bag-221240822.html?guccounter=1

Or https://news.sky.com/story/toyota-recalls-one-million-hybrid-cars-worldwide-over-fire-risk-11490803

Hmmm https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–11_Toyota_vehicle_recalls#Anti-lock_brake_software_recall

Last edited:

lane

Veteran
Lucky my model is not on there. My brother was telling me about this recently but not in relation to Toyota but BMW think its an industry wide problem. Anyway obviously I can only speak in relation to my own experience.

screenman

Legendary Member
I had a very enjoyable 4 wheel driving day at Peckforton Castle with Land Rover, Evoque in the morning and RR Sport with knackered diff in the afternoon, the Sport had done 800 miles from new.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I had a very enjoyable 4 wheel driving day at Peckforton Castle with Land Rover, Evoque in the morning and RR Sport with knackered diff in the afternoon, the Sport had done 800 miles from new.

I had a 4x4 day in a Kubota.. Awsome thing, nothing bust..

Moodyman

Legendary Member

Vehicle recalls like these are common across the industry and not limited to one manufacturer.

Take the airbag recall, there were several manufacturers affected as the issue lay with the third party supplying several brands.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Vehicle recalls are quite common becauseand because manufacturers use external

Vehicle recalls like these are common across the industry and not limited to one manufacturer.

Take the airbag recall, there were several manufacturers affected as the issue lay with the third party supplying several brands.
However, it seems as odds with their being religious about quality control surely even if they happen. It's the recent Toyota ones that have stuck in my mind, notably fire risk hybrid engines!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
However, it seems as odds with their being religious about quality control surely even if they happen. It's the recent Toyota ones that have stuck in my mind, notably fire risk hybrid engines!!
The one with the floor mats was caused in part by customers sticking another floor mat on top of the ones provided which caused the pedal to get stuck ,although why in their right mind would they need 2 mats stacked on top of each other is beyond me .
As far as kaizen, continual improvement goes you are expected to raise at least one a month as well as raising safety , quality and other concerns . The more you improve themore you can potentially earn as you can get an extra pay rise if you have a good year .
As well as this good ideas and key quality spots can be rewarded , i just got £50 bonus for spotting a quality issue from a 3rd party supplier.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As far as high recalls go after the last major recall it was decided to have a dedicated team that bypassed the dealerships so that problems could be fixed and traced back to ensure any issues could be stopped at source more quickly .

Freds Dad

Veteran
I’ll keep my 10 year old Honda until it falls to bits. Hopefully there will be a way around this by then.

My Honda CRV is nearly 16 years old and has covered over 160,000 miles. It starts every morning whatever the weather, is great in snow and ice and can carry a couple of bikes in the back quite easily.
Apart from the MOT I have only spent money on consumables including tyres and brake parts.

I always remember a mechanic friend of my fathers telling me to buy either Japanese or German cars if I wanted trouble free motoring.

Top Bottom